the grid

the grid

Saturday 2 September 2023

The house-book, in pictures

Hello all,

This is not meant to detract from the intercession post, but I did want to share pictures of my house-book before we got into the next session, and I don't seem to be able to post pictures in the comments. So please bear with me!

I also want to say that I feel like I wasn't very connected this past term, or at least the past month or so. Life felt very off-schedule. I hope to check in and read what you all have been up to (which is very much my favorite part of this group) much more often this fall.

Anyway.

I have many pictures. I tried to upload a video of me actually opening it, but it didn't work.

To review the process: I bound (and decorated) the pages; I gilt the pages (which I regret, for it was very messy and took a long time, but at least it came out okay); I constructed the house out of book board; I glued on wall paper and plants and curtains; I needle-felted the cat in the cat bed; I made a bed out of a twig; I sewed a little mattress (matches the curtains!); I knit the quilt; I constructed a bookcase out of book board; and I made "books" out of bits of book board and scraps of leather. The carpets are from some fancy papers. I also cut out pictures to put on the walls, and "framed" them by gluing them onto brown paper.

The dormer window was an unexpected addition, and I'm really happy with how it came out!

So you can see why the silly thing took all summer...and it's only about 6" tall!














6 comments:

  1. That is amazing! It's beautiful---and all ready for a book fairy or writing elf to move in. Is this how you get so much done? You bribe the writing elves with wonderful living spaces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh would that they would move in! I think that they're allergic to cats? (Thanks for the kind words!)

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's lovely! And rather as I imagined it except I had the pages vertical, not horizonal. All the details!

    I think writing elves have at least some cat-protection powers (possibly due to being allied with teeny tiny cats of their own) - they certainly have the same reluctance to respond when called and tendency to demand attention when you're desperately busy with other things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! Thank you for sharing these. That's incredible. I couldn't imagine it when you were describing it, except I assumed it had to be bigger. Such a beautiful thing to have made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute!!! The cat is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous, and amazing. (I have a necklace with a small (1" tall) silver book, and inside are pages from 19th c pattern books, but this is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete