the grid

the grid

Sunday 23 June 2024

2024 Session 2: TLQuest week 6

If you're busy this week/when reading this, the weekly goals and prompts are right at the bottom after the list of last week's goals, just skip the earlier stuff! 

Midsummer already!  Days will be getting shorter from now on and our mid-session check in with our goals is next week (imagine me putting my fingers in my ears, closing my eyes and singing "lalala" really loudly to help me ignore all those things).  Last week we talked about small annoying tasks and keeping them in their place - this week let's have a chat about how we park work when we're done for day, to minimise how much it can overflow into the precious summer stuff!  A former version of this group introduced the "parking on a downhill slope" metaphor (I think that was coined by Notorious PhD?), which I continue to use and share as widely as I can.  Any other handy phrases, or specific tips on HOW you park your work so you can put it out of your mind, especially when working on longer tasks?

THIS WEEK'S GAMEPLAY

Everyone feels reassured enough to take on Silas' errand, and when Scout has returned and Silas has woken up from his nap, you tell him so.  He looks very relieved, and sets to work making sure you have what you need.  Scout asked about the dog - the dog seems happy, dim and very much three legged.  Looking around the place, she'll also see that one of the cats has only one working eye, but seems just as cared for and cat-content as the others.

Silas will show Scout his own map of the local area (which is amateurish but legible) and point out the general location where he usually finds the herbs, and an abandoned cottage about an hour's walk from the woods which he says is a great place for an overnight camp as it has a well and an intact hearth for a fire and cooking, and the remaining walls provide some shelter if the night is chilly.  He'll write a short letter stating that the group are acting on his behalf, show the note to Alice so she can be sure it doesn't say "rob these imposters", then seal it and hand it over.  He'll give you a tiny carved wooden acorn on a silver chain, and tell the group that this will have the same message for anyone they encounter who doesn't read, or prefers symbols.  He'll also direct Linnet to the correct drawer in his workbench where she can find finely woven linen bags, collecting vials and a well made herb-cutting knife, and tells her that he trusts her to not collect too much of anything, but he'll happily pay for several bags of each plant.  And he says that you should have no trouble finding the plants, you clearly have the right skills among your group and anyway, there are some helpful small folk in the wood who will set you right if you have a problem.  As you get ready to leave, Silas' neighbour is just arriving to make sure the animals get fed, and she thanks you for helping out in the garden because "he will over do it, he worries about them plants as if they was babbies"

It's late afternoon by now - when you go back to the inn, your activities are clearly already known - Mistress Underwood, the neighbour, just general village observations, who knows?  The landlord says that your meal tonight is free as you're helping out Silas, and offers to pack up some basics for your trip to the woods as well.  Despite the suspicions of some members of the group, dunner is good and unadulterated, and you set out the next morning with a couple of loaves of fresh bread, a very solid slab of fruitcake, a bag of stored apples which are a bit shrivelled but still sweet-smelling, and a good hunk of bacon to add to whatever rations you carry or forage yourselves. 

You set off the next morning bright and early, your path taking you first through the village and its fields, then into the grazing lands where you pass a swineherd and a couple of outlying cottages, then into less managed country, mostly scrubby with some stands of woodland.  The path you're following is quite clear, with minimal need for Scout's skills to keep you on track, and the landscape feels safe with plenty of bird and insect activity, and Scout and Linnet will spot several signs of deer and rabbits and other small critters.  You make good time (everyone having two legs doubtless helps) and are able to make camp at the cottage and be comfortably settled in by dusk.  Some helpful previous traveller left kindling and firewood stacked, and there's even an old but usable earth toilet which someone has maintained enough that the seat is smooth and solid, there's a wooden shovel and a pile of dirt and ashes for use, and there's enough of a fence around it for privacy - camping luxury!  You can see Darkthorn Woods ahead of you, spreading up a slope and forming the horizon.  It doesn't look ominous, exactly, but it's very present in the landscape even though it's an hours walk away.

What is your character like as a companion on a walk like this (do they get distracted by butterflies, have a rigid sense of pace and schedule, sing or tell stories as they go)? How is your character feeling as they settle down, and what is their plan for tomorrow? 


LAST WEEK’S GOALS

DAISY

URGENT Submit revisions for Paper 2
Start on new paper and finish at least the data and intro sections
Endless meetings
Run three times, strength two times
Real Summer 1: try again for the fancy food truck lunch
Real Summer 2: go to a beach

DAME ELEANOR

1. Write report on MS I'm reviewing for a press
2. 1 unit Greek
3. Write or at least outline the intro and conclusion to Alms
4. Do something else worth reporting (ex. make an appointment, get a picture framed, tidy the linen closet)
5. Make some plans with friends for another upcoming trip.

HEU MIHI

1. Work through chapter 2 draft; enter edits to chapter 1
2. Finish reading RM book
3. Work on Zero Waste pamphlet; do my share of updates for the recycling pamphlet
4. Contact estate lawyer for mom (contact mom first); try to set up a meeting
5. Return some balloons (don't ask)
6. Take notes on the book I read recently
7. Preliminary research for my part of the festschrift proposal

JANEB

1. self-care: tick off at least 75% of the regular chores list, plan what to do with the decluttering woman, sort the Clothes Pile Of Doom, additional intentional movement three days, do physio recommended stretches with great caution at least once, practice rest as needed, keep my mobile phone on grey-scale mode.
2. fun: play D&D, knit some, draw something (nibling's birthday is soon so a card for that would be good), read something
3. teaching and administration: three blocks of teaching preparation from my list, ensure I have up to date information on all the students doing placement years
4. one step on other service task, Slowly Developing Paper meeting and two hours of follow up work, at least half an hour on Neglected Paper. I should probably add something else but I don't feel motivated to!

JULIE:

1. Lots of end-of-term meetings.
2. More dissertation meetings.
3. One day at least on grant application.
4. Review meeting for a PhD student
5. Register for a conference in July
6. Summer travel - book train tickets, travel insurance for daughter.
7. Do some decluttering.
8. Make a start on major bathroom project.

SUSAN

1. Write to presses
2. Start doing what I propose with Famous Author
3. Read two articles for journals and just get them DONE.
4. Enjoy social life.
5. Keep reading for fun


IN SUMMARY:
Your TLQuest prompt is: What is your character like as a companion on a walk like this (do they get distracted by butterflies, have a rigid sense of pace and schedule, sing or tell stories as they go)? How is your character feeling as they settle down, and what is their plan for tomorrow as you enter the woods? Who will be doing what? (searching for the herbs, looking our for threats, communing with any woodland creatures...)

Your real-world TLQ prompt is: weekly check in, plus how do you park your work at the end of a session so that you can put it out of your mind to enjoy summer things (or just be present in the rest of your life)?

23 comments:

  1. Parking on a downhill slope for me includes:
    * taking a few minutes to brain dump what I think comes next in the task I was working on - that might look like updating a to do list, putting notes at the end of the document, freewriting in my notebook or in the file, but it needs to happen. A chance to empty out of my brain the bits and pieces floating around in it as a result of having been working on the task.
    * making sure I have written down the concrete next steps for whatever I was working on to help get the next work session started smoothly - not the same as the brain dump, this could be very specific line items in a list (either in the document/project or in a notebook), a half-started paragraph which says something like "next I will present the evidence for point two...", putting a post-it in a text I'm reading - easy, no-decision things I can do at the start of the next work session with that piece
    * if I can make my brain do it, tidy up - usually that just means closing the work notebook, putting pens away in the pen pot, putting scratch paper into the recycling, taking a used mug back to the kitchen (or, honestly, off my desk into the bucket of Downstairs Items which lives near my desk and gets swapped with the bucket of Upstairs Items which lives on the stairs when one of them is full or when I have enough dirty pots to need the dishwasher). Sometimes my brain doesn't want to do this!
    * my home desk is multi-use - work, leisure, crafts, all of it happens there. So I aim to at least move stuff around so say my knitting is on top of my work texts and my bullet journal is on top of my work notebook... at the office, I just aim to clear off the bit of desk space I use, but of course I do get to shut the door and leave there so it's easier to shut the door on the space (harder to shut the door mentally, I find, but I think that's because work at the office is heavier/more socially demanding and so I have more regulating to do to get back to a calmer state of being).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. Last week. Meeting on Monday was a list of reasons/excuses, a statement that NorthernUni expects to shed another 120-150 jobs mostly of more senior people by December (on top of over 100 already gone in April following the voluntary exit process), and a frustrating but predictable Q&A which included a lot of vague "mental well being is important to us" and "occupational health are here to help" (but you can only see them with a referral from your Head of School) and "go to the wellbeing page for support" (i.e. lunch time pilates and the usual it's your fault take a nice bath pablum). Then a Union meeting which was quite organised for once, but also pretty stressful. And being told we'd get the details at Faculty meetings over the next few days - ours was the last one, happening on the Friday. I don't work Fridays but was able to call in to it (it was online only - the Dean spends a lot of time not in Northern City) - and the local details are depressing. First, another reorganisation - one School will be disbanded, we get part of it back into our School and sadly it's a group with some TOXIC people and some very entitled "I'm a teaching superstar I am therefore right about everything"/"My research is sexy I should get to do whatever I like" types. But that will involve relabelling every document, rebuilding the shared parts of the VLE, and a LOT of small changes to practice to align the groups. On top of that, Faculty says it needs to cut 40% of Professorial roles and 55% of Senior Lecturer/Reader roles (that's my band) by December. They haven't decided the process, but the plan is that we, the academics in the Schools, will review our programmes and student numbers, work out a minimal staffing profile (e.g. we need one area A person, one area B person and and three C persons) to deliver those programmes, then wherever there are more current staff than positions in the new profile will be expected to either have some people offer to leave or to interview competitively for the remaining jobs. And ALL of this to be completed with a new Head of School (starts 1st July), and without impacting current students (although... we pretty much all have graduate students, undergrad project students, honours modules etc. set up for next year and the leavers will leave part way through the year, so there WILL be impacts).

    So that was not exactly positive or encouraging for doing things. I'm actually fairly calm at the moment - although some of that is because, especially under Interim Head, I think I've been feeling so insecure in my position anyway that there wasn't much hope to lose. And getting through each week is quite hard enough right now, as I'm still trying to recover from burnout, and it's also getting warm/humid enough to be an extra burden here just to add to the fun!

    Very much a "what will be will be" moment; the Union will fight but from what we're seeing across the region and nationally we'll be lucky to win improved terms for those leaving. If this was 5 years further into my career I'd probably be accepting an early and broke-for-the-first-few-years retirement, but I'm not at that point, so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Cat, that's CARNAGE! I'm so sorry.

      Delete
    2. Oh, dear. I am so sorry, and it breaks my heart to see a once great university system be so needlessly destroyed.

      Delete
    3. What a nightmare. I'm so sorry. It's so depressing hearing all these stories from other institutions, and wondering what might be coming down the line. It's also always so badly managed - having people leave halfway through the year????

      Delete
  3. And on to the actual TLQ!
    LAST WEEK'S GOALS:
    1. self-care: tick off at least 75% of the regular chores list, plan what to do with the decluttering woman, sort the Clothes Pile Of Doom, additional intentional movement three days, do physio recommended stretches with great caution at least once, practice rest as needed, keep my mobile phone on grey-scale mode. not yet but might be there by the end of today (Sunday), she wasn't able to come (sick child again, poor little mite) which was overall quite nice as it was a tiring week, not yet, one day, some of them, done a lot of idling, yes
    2. fun: play D&D, knit some, draw something (nibling's birthday is soon so a card for that would be good), read something yes, yes, doodled, no - my reading brain is not working again, sigh. Not a good sign
    3. teaching and administration: three blocks of teaching preparation from my list, ensure I have up to date information on all the students doing placement years yes, in progress
    4. one step on other service task, Slowly Developing Paper meeting and two hours of follow up work, at least half an hour on Neglected Paper. I should probably add something else but I don't feel motivated to! no, yes, no

    THIS WEEK'S GOALS:
    1. self-care: 75%+ of regular chores list, sort the Clothes Pile Of Doom, additional intentional movement three days, do physio recommended stretches with great caution at least once, practice rest as needed, keep my mobile phone on grey-scale mode.
    2. fun: play D&D, knit some, draw something (nibling's birthday card is necessary), read something
    3. teaching and administration: three blocks of teaching preparation from my list, complete tasks related to students doing placement years, attend Second Formal Review meeting, comment on chapter draft and annual review paperwork for grad student
    4. research: Slowly Developing Paper one hour, referee another paper, work through at least half of Consultancy Paper (which is now back on my desk, joy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're doing well, with steady progress on many fronts. Well done! Maybe it would help just to take two items off the Clothes Pile of Doom (Mount Doom of Clothes?), make the task smaller rather than having to do it all.

      Delete
    2. Well I sort of did today & it didn;t go great - there was a new pair of very light weight trousers (supposed to be beach cover ups I think) on the pile and today it was hot and humid but my eczema is looking obvious and ugly so I wanted to wear full length trousers, and took those off the chair... very comfy, but a tiny bit long. Within five minutes of getting into the office they decided to get acquainted with the wheels of my chair. Noone else was around and after what was probably a very amusing five minutes for any flies on the wall I had to resort to scissors to free myself. So now they go back on the Chair Of Doom to wait to be hemmed. For... a long time. Because Chair Of Doom!

      Delete
  4. Alice is watchful. She chats with people as they walk, but she's very aware of her surroundings, and so never gets so involved that she loses track of where she is or what is happening around her. She's curious, and she does feel confident with her traveling companions: she thinks the group has a good mix of knowledge and experience.

    Parking work: I am TERRIBLE at this, particularly in the summer when I am here. The problem with an 8 hour time difference is that I can come home at 10 PM and people are still at work and the emails really start arriving at 5 PM here... Reading JaneB's strategies, I think I should take some of them up, because I just mostly count on knowing what I need to do next: only under great stress do I write lists that I pay attention to.

    How I did last week:
    1. Write to presses ONE OF TWO
    2. Start doing what I propose with Famous Author YES
    3. Read two articles for journals and just get them DONE. NO
    4. Enjoy social life. YES, but it was VERY social!
    5. Keep reading for fun YES

    It was a pretty good week: very social (dinner out Tuesday, Wednesday, THursday, Friday and Saturday, with seminars Thursday and Friday and a concert on Saturday, and a lunch on Friday.) I have been reading away, in very much my childhood summer mode. And the work has largely been going. I've *read* one article (I think actually both) and just need to figure out what to say about it that is helpful, since it's very good! And I wrote to one press, realized why I'd thought the other was so discouraging, so waiting for a response, but feel good about my plans.

    I decided at the last moment to go visit a friend from the US who is doing a fellowship in a city I haven't visited since 1980, so I am going up this afternoon for a few nights. In addition to my friend, I'll see several other friends/ colleagues, and have lunch with Julie, so who knows what Alice and Martha might get up to! Later in the week my stepson and his wife are arriving, so I'll see them...

    Goals for hte week:
    1. Enjoy trip to nice city
    2. Keep moving forward on Famous Author
    3. Do some needed catch up on Big Collaboration
    4. Deal with Admin stuff, hopefully before my sabbatical starts, officially next Monday.
    5. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your trip is going very well! It's fun hearing about all your events. Enjoy the coming week!

      Delete
  5. Martha is also watchful. In familiar surroundings, she'd be more likely to daydream, but here she's paying attention. She's a little wary but getting a thrill out of new landscapes. She's starting to relax more around the rest of the group. She's still quiet, but she'll join in the conversation from time to time. When it comes to planning, she'll be collecting herbs, since she's got a fairly good idea of what to look for.

    I am very bad at parking on a downhill slope and need to pick up some of JaneB's strategies as well. Sometimes I do make notes in my planner of stuff to pick up the next day/week, but often I have to leave things in the middle because it's time to pick someone up/get home/start dinner. But then I will go back into 'real life' and not be very present there either. I need to get better at finding a bit of a transition between the two.

    Last week
    1. Lots of end-of-term meetings. - YES (two were very long!)
    2. More dissertation meetings. - YES (hopefully done now)
    3. One day at least on grant application. - YES (managed a bit more)
    4. Review meeting for a PhD student - POSTPONED
    5. Register for a conference in July - YES
    6. Summer travel - book train tickets, travel insurance for daughter. - MOSTLY, YES
    7. Do some decluttering. - NO
    8. Make a start on major bathroom project. - SORT OF? (looked at some websites, got overwhelmed)

    It was the last week of term, and good in some ways - we had an end of year social which, because there is no money, was just a walk down to a local old house (part medieval, part 17th century) where we had a guided tour and then got to wander in the gardens, which are beautiful. And eat scones. It was actually more fun and relaxed than the restaurant dinners we've had in years where there was a budget. And I made some progress on the grant application. But this weekend I slept badly, and didn't get much done, and was very cranky with my kids, so now I feel bad.

    This week:
    1. Work on grant application
    2. Review for PhD student.
    3. Meet Susan!
    4. Bathroom project.
    5. Decluttering
    6. Host late birthday/post exam party for daughter on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transitions are hard. It sounds like you had a good week! Clutter we have always with us, I think. The end of year event sounds lovely. I hope you have a good week and that the party goes well.

      Delete
  6. I want to walk with Linnet for a bit and compare notes on what we're seeing, but I'm considerably reassured by the presence of the rabbits, deer, and other small critters, since if there were big nasty things around they'd no doubt make themselves scarce. It's a great pleasure to be outside in good weather in relaxed circumstances, no setting explosives or skulking around, let alone spending 48 hours up a tree, holding as still as possible. Being suspicious has kept me alive on various occasions, but so far it does seem like everything's okay, and I feel much better for a few hot meals at the tavern. All the same, I'm going to keep an eye on our surroundings, not join in any singing, or wander after butterflies, though I will see if there are any mushrooms or other wild foods to forage. Since I have some oats in my pack, I'm wondering about turning those apples into a sort of stovetop (fire-top) crumble, if anyone else has some sugar and cinnamon. Over the course of the day, I'll probably spend a few minutes in conversation with each of the others, just seeing what they tune into in the surroundings (since everyone tends to notice different things) and if they see anything that might be edible.

    Tomorrow, when we go into the woods, I'll keep my scouting eyes open, looking for any signs of military encampments (old or recent), defensible positions, large trees to bolt up, signs of goblin presence, signs of magical or mythical animals, running water, paths/roads made or used by humanoids (I know, it can be pretty difficult to spot an elf-road, and clever people can follow a deer path without leaving many signs). I can recognize the common Don't Touch plants, and a lot of herbs and so on, but I'm not so hot on purely medicinal plants, so I'll rely on my companions to provide secure identification of the plants we need to get for Silas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parking projects: sometimes I make notes in a paper journal or leave clear instructions for where to go next in a word-processed document. Or comments/questions in all caps to resolve. When I am working on something every day I may get careless about this, because it's clear in my mind what should happen next---but then if something keeps me from getting back to the WIP, I regret the carelessness. There's always tinkering with footnotes just to get back into the project.

    How I did:
    1. Write report on MS I'm reviewing for a press. STARTED.
    2. 1 unit Greek. NO.
    3. Write or at least outline the intro and conclusion to Alms. NO, but did reverse-outline the body, to use in creating the intro and conclusion.
    4. Do something else worth reporting (ex. make an appointment, get a picture framed, tidy the linen closet). YES: about 9 hours of gardening, including some fairly heavy digging; also cleaned the freezer (an oops-do-it-now situation); started sorting a box of journals in my campus office (this is a sort of personal/family project); swam twice; went to book group; read 4 fluffy books.
    5. Make some plans with friends for another upcoming trip. ATTEMPTED, but no one's replying to e-mail! I guess they're enjoying Real Summer. Oh well, we'll play it by ear.

    Due to very hot weather most of the week, gardening had to happen early in the morning, and between getting up early and working hard, I tended to wear myself out and have trouble doing Actual Real Work later. So in many ways it was a week of Real Summer.

    New goals:
    - finish and send the MS review
    - pack and do other trip prep
    - swim once
    - have fun and do no work during trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linnet is very comfortable on a long walk, as well as in the woods, an she generally prefers companionable silence to a lot of chit-chat. But she's happy to compare observations with Scout, who isn't inclined to idle chatter and clearly knows her way around. Linnet is frankly looking forward to being back under a tree canopy--too much time in the open air makes her feel edgy and antsy--and is hoping for an early start tomorrow.

    Parking downhill: My strategies are pretty similar to DEH's and JaneB's: write specific instructions, put START HERE in all-caps at the key point in a document, come up with a few points of a very concrete, not-intimidating to-do list (with things like "reread context for quote on p. X" on it).

    How I did last week:
    1. Work through chapter 2 draft; enter edits to chapter 1 - YES; also re-edited ch. 4 and entered edits; entered ch. 2 edits, too.
    2. Finish reading RM book - YES
    3. Work on Zero Waste pamphlet; do my share of updates for the recycling pamphlet - YES; MOSTLY (I think that I still need to make a phone call)
    4. Contact estate lawyer for mom (contact mom first); try to set up a meeting - NO
    5. Return some balloons (don't ask) - YES (this literally just involved placing a package in the mailbox)
    6. Take notes on the book I read recently - YES
    7. Preliminary research for my part of the festschrift proposal - NO

    This week: On Thursday we leave for my in-laws' memorial service, and we'll be gone until Sunday, so I only have three days. This morning I'm also having a minor dental procedure (which I'm really excited about, actually: it should fix discoloration on my front teeth that has bothered me for YEARS), so I'm going to try to be modest in my goal-setting.

    1. Round of revisions to ch. 5
    2. Clean the garage
    3. Contact Mom about estate lawyer; contact estate lawyer
    4. (Maybe) start research for festschrift description
    5. Make one phone call to finish my part of recycling pamphlet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, JaneB, since you mentioned Notorious Ph.D., I thought I should tell you all that I learned on FB that she died a month or so ago, after a cancer diagnosis in March. I met her a few times at conferences and she was such a lively, cheerful person--it's hard to reconcile. ...Sorry to bring bad news....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. I can't believe it! So fast. She was a delightful person.

      Delete
    2. https://cla.csulb.edu/marie-kelleher/

      Delete
    3. That was so quick! Such sad news! What a loss...

      Delete
    4. Oh, I should have mentioned it, because she was I htink at times part of this group. She died about a month after being diagnosed with cancer, so VERY shocking. https://www.medievalists.net/2024/05/marie-kelleher-passes-away/

      Delete
    5. Oh dear, she was a huge presence as a writer and blogger even for people way out of her field... So sad to hear that.

      Delete
  10. Cornelius is definitely the “hello trees, hello flowers” kind of wanderer… Possibly still a little twitchy and nervous and kind of clueless, but will settle down nicely when he gets comfortable and will remember every plant along the way and will have great ideas about tracking and following paths based on what grows where… He will definitely be helpful searching for herbs and gathering edible plants for snacks and tea for everyone. In a fight he would probably be most useful as a target though, so he does have a tendency to hide in the bushes…

    Parking on downhill slope is hard for me right now. Everything feels a bit overwhelming and I am having a hard time planning and focusing beyond the myriad of student needs and research and admin tasks… I am going to just try and borrow all of JaneB’s excellent advice above and see if I can salvage the week…
    I got lousy news on the paper I thought was done, turns out there is something the editor still wants changed even after our revisions. It is fine, but came at a bad time on a day where lots of other things were already making our research group collectively grumpy… Oh well, we will make the changes, and at least I’m not grumpy all on my own…

    Last week’s goals
    URGENT Submit revisions for Paper 2 FAIL
    Start on new paper and finish at least the data and intro sections NOPE
    Endless meetings ONGOING
    Run three times, strength two times SORT OF 2 and 1
    Real Summer 1: try again for the fancy food truck lunch DONE
    Real Summer 2: go to a beach FAIL

    I am really hoping to get out to our field site later this week… If I can get paper stuff done I will feel ok about taking off!

    This week’s goals
    URGENT Submit revisions for Paper 2
    Informal research article for fun web thing
    More endless but important meetings
    Not lose my temper with frustrating things
    Real Summer 1: beer on deck, cannot cope with bigger goals

    ReplyDelete