the grid

the grid

Tuesday 7 September 2021

Session 3 2021: Welcome to the house

The butler graciously accepts your invitations and invites you into the foyer. Would you like tea, coffee, a glass of champagne or sherry?

As many. of us negotiate returns or beginnings this year,  you might want to reflect on what makes you feel welcomed? What actions, signals or rituals invite you to feel at home? In a spirit of kindness, how might we extend a welcome to those around us without burning ourselves out? 

This week you. might want to add session goals if you didn't last week, or refine those goals with a chance to reflect on them. Otherwise, please do share what your goals are for this week.

For the record, here are the session goals, and weekly goals, as posted last week:


Daisy

Session:

Research: I have five papers that need to be finished. That’s it, that’s all… Two are brand new, and two are close to done and have been through some review already, one is new and written and needs to be reviewed by co-authors and I need to be the organizer and compiler of everything. So I really need to focus and find a way to move them all forward and not let the harder ones languish forever…

Students: I want to get new grad student started off well, get current grad students through the rigours of writing a thesis.

Life: In the Fall gardening category I want to remember to plant bulbs (I never do), and move hostas to make new flower beds. In other life things I want to continue my excellent exercise regimen from last session and give time and attention to something creative for my sabbatical

This week:

1) Teach well and make sure the students enjoy the process.

2) Get a few revisions done on either old paper.

3) Get to know teaching area well enough to be in charge next year.


Dame Eleanor Hull

Research: draft and/or expand two book chapters. [Same for the fictional version of Dame Eleanor.]

Teaching: deliver effective courses, grade promptly, do a little prep of spring courses. [Prepare for tutoring sessions, seek out new students for when this lot go up to university.]

House/Life: unpack at least half the boxes in the garage. Put the garden to bed. Do at least ten things on my list of Stuff That Will Stay Done. [Go through at least half of the trunks in the attic, put the garden to bed, do at least ten things . . . ]

Time Management: take Sundays and at least half of Saturdays off from work, and work more efficiently on weekdays to make this possible. [Observe the Sabbath, and take Saturday to prepare to do so.] This will depend on

Health: manage food and exercise so as to sleep adequately on a regular basis. [A lady does not speak of such pedestrian needs, which we all share, though dear Lady Fortescue insists that this attitude enables considerable suffering, especially among the genteel poor; NB, reflect further upon this point, as Lady F v. insightful.]

Goals for this week:

*write 2000 words

*correct Johnson Minor's execrable Latin translations and prepare for Miss Baddesley's Greek lesson

*open and inspect Sir John's crates from his sojourn on Crete

*retire to bed at a suitable hour

*ask Cook to prepare frozen custard, under threat that if she does not, I will attempt it myself. NB, if this prompts her to quit, send Morrison at once to employment agency; also ask Lady F for suggestions: perhaps hotel cook would like to work for smaller establishment.


Elizabeth Anne Mitchell

Goals to come


heu mihi

Session goals:

1. Take time to stop doing things.

This means: sit, go into the forest, do yoga, rest, knit, enjoy my family.

2. Write steadily and calmly.

This means: Finish WH and SUBMIT IT, work up a rough draft of paper due in February (which will also inform chapter 1 of big new project), submit grant proposal and sabbatical application, submit Kzoo abstract on time.

3. Take an Italian class!

4. Do good things for others

This means: Write letters/postcards for political activism group, eat more vegan meals (twice a week?), respond reasonably promptly to emails, stay on top of big committee

This week:

1. Complete my part of WH intro and send it back to co-editor

2. Grade paper from incomplete from *last fall*, for Pete's sake (I only got it a week or two ago)

3. Submit Kzoo proposal

4. Yoga once; sit daily during the week; run as possible/appropriate

5. Read the research-related stuff that I've been trying to get through lo these many days (half a chapter and 2/3 of an article)


humming42

Teaching

Do the usual

Draft proposal for new program

Research

Draft DQ book proposal

Write quality presentations for three online conferences

Submit to favorite spring conference

Creative

Organize existing drafts of poems and flash nonfiction

Create a submission plan

Commit to and enjoy online classes

Domestic

Finish cleaning office

Build and fill bookcases

Clear all recycling from house and garage


JaneB 

Goals for the session:

Sad but realistic goal for the session: SURVIVAL (i.e. all my classes were covered to a minimum level, I am alive without long covid, my grad students haven't sacked me, and I have not told the university to stuff its job where the sun don't shine. Also I didn't actually make the state of the house WORSE and the cat is thriving as far as an anxious, dumb, cautious cat who apparently was put on this earth to shed fluff can thrive). Setting goals is depressing because they keep being wrecked by circumstances...

Goals for the coming week:

1) self-care: do 3 songs worth of exercise each day, bring the downstairs basket up and the upstairs basket down and PUT AWAY the items in each (hereafter "basket swap"), improve one small area of the house somehow.

2) make a list of the essential VLE work I need to do before students return, and a schedule for doing it over the next 2-3 weeks

3) get caught up on stupid CPD videos and things

4) read over what we said we'd do for the grant that got funded, and make some initial notes.

Goals for this week. (and the next week – posted in week 1 due to late post)

1) self-care: do 3 songs worth of exercise each day, "basket swap" at the end of the week, improve one small area of the house somehow. Clear off the reading chair in my work area.

2) make a list of the essential VLE work I need to do before students return, and schedule it - do as much of the three first trimester skills-led modules as possible (do knowledge-led next week)

3) get caught up on stupid CPD videos and things

4) read over what we said we'd do for the grant that got funded, and make some initial notes.

5) redo figures for Ferret (long standing members may recall that this paper has appeared for seevral years now...)


Karen

Teaching: finish up this semester without getting behind, set up external connections and partnerships for sem 1 2022 unit.

Research: pilot SOTL project and present paper on it, see three PhD/Masters students to submission.

Self and Home: maintain planting schedule, get out (in some way shape or form) each week, get home office fully functional given there's at least one more year of hotdesk hell to come.


Susan 

Goals:

1. Research: get rough drafts of last two chapters of Famous Author, a short book I'm writing about someone you have heard of. Usually do at least two writing sessions a week

2. Teaching: keep up with classes, don't get overwhelmed

3. Admin: I'm drafting the self-study for the graduate program review. It's due at the end of September but mid-October is probably reasonable


4. Other service: I'm finishing (this week) work on both a book prize & article prize; I've got a tenure review; a jacket blurb; and a ms to read for a colleague. I'm also president of a scholarly organization, so stuff will come up about it.


5. House: 3 house tasks (clean ducts, refinish floor in guest room & paint guest room)


6. Keep up with exercise, multiple kinds. (biking, strength, maybe more yoga)


7. See friends, see my mother


8. Read for fun




17 comments:

  1. Goals for this week:
    - record next week's online lecture
    - email internal partner to discuss 2022

    Research:
    -remind O and A to get writing to me, return feedback if I get it before Friday
    -check local T&L conf dates and draft abstract

    Self and Home:
    - 3 pomodoros of office unpack/rearrange.
    - pot on tomatoes and plant last of the flower seedling trays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stepping up and doing the main post! So much for my schedule in last week's comments . . .

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the kind welcome! I would love to join any of our house residents and guests for a cup of tea in the library or study this morning, that’s a foolproof way to make guests feel welcome I think! Anything personalized helps with that feeling too, so I sent all my close colleagues a “happy first day of term” note this morning because I will probably not see them until the chaos of the first weeks have passed a bit. This start of term feels a bit odd, because I’m on sabbatical this is the first time in almost 2 decades I am not at orientation day. It is definitely a bit disconcerting, but for an excellent cause! I did get my traditional latte and butter tart this morning to celebrate the first day of school and I’m using part of this morning to plan out my work for September, and think about priorities.

    Last week’s goals:
    1) Teach well and make sure the students enjoy the process. GREAT FUN!
    2) Get a few revisions done on either old paper. DID A LITTLE BIT
    3) Get to know teaching area well enough to be in charge next year. YES!

    The week of field teaching was great fun, and I learned a lot about the area. My new grad student was part of the class and it was great to get to know her a bit. This week it is time to change gears into real work mode, and to make a plan for the next month otherwise it will disappear like morning mist…

    This week’s goals
    1) Work with current grad student who is visiting and get analytical plans in place
    2) Do data analysis and figures for paper-that-everyone-forgot-about-and-now-need-done-fast
    3) Do photography for figures in new local paper
    4) Work on revisions for old paper
    5) Assemble Baby Albatross paper and send to co-authors for review
    6) Send away three batches of samples for analytical work
    7) Make plan for the rest of the month
    8) Do at least one fun thing with friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "traditional latte and butter tart" for the first day of school! Yum!

      Delete
  3. Mmm sherry sounds lovely! What makes me feel welcome? Good question. I think that a comfortable chair, plenty of interesting things/books around me to look at, and not being too fussed-over. Ignore me a little and I'll feel even more at home.

    Classes started last week, and I had a realization: I needed the pandemic to teach me that I actually enjoy teaching. All afternoon after my first lecture, I kept wondering why I feeling so good...and eventually it dawned on me that it was because I enjoy prancing around in front of a big room full of people (which is very odd, in a way, given how extremely shy I was in my youth). More seriously, there's an energy that I get from teaching in person--or just from being around people--that was completely lacking on Zoom.

    Last week's goals:
    1. Complete my part of WH intro and send it back to co-editor - DONE
    2. Grade paper from incomplete from *last fall*, for Pete's sake (I only got it a week or two ago) - DONE
    3. Submit Kzoo proposal - DONE (yesterday!)
    4. Yoga once; sit daily during the week; run as possible/appropriate - Yoga once, sat x4, ran x3 (not a lot, but oh well)
    5. Read the research-related stuff that I've been trying to get through lo these many days (half a chapter and 2/3 of an article) - YES finally.

    This week:
    1.

    This week:
    1. Submit sabbatical application
    2. Run x 4, yoga x 2, sit x 5??
    3. Read next chapter or two of book
    4. Revise grant application
    5. Sketch out a research/writing plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I have that extra "This week: 1." in there, but maybe it says something about my state of mind?

      Delete
    2. I also enjoy the performative aspects of teaching, and the immediate feedback that comes with being able to read eyes and body language.

      Delete
  4. What makes me feel welcome? Having someone do something that is for me, that they know me. Sometimes it's nice to just be a part of the action, but there's something about acknowledging your presence -- whether a cup of tea, a glass of sherry, or some way there's a pause -- it marks your arrival as an event. And that makes me feel welcome.
    (I'm thinking about this because I spent the long weekend at my brother's, and though they do nice things for me (a very good dinner out)the arrival is always a bit haphazard. (This time especially, because I went early as my SIL had been briefly hospitalized, and I was backup. (She's fine, but was pumped up with morphine in the hospital, so was a bit exhausted...)

    I realized I set no goals for last week, which is probably lucky, as I was away and didn't do much other than keep up. So no reports for the week...

    Goals for this week:
    1. Two sessions working on Famous Author
    2. Admin: Get survey for self-study done, get next section drafted
    3. Finish article prize work
    4. Do tenure review
    5. Get estimates on cleaning ducts
    6. Spend time with my mother
    7. Get together with friends on zoom
    8. Maybe even see people IRL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family visits can get really weird around the question of whether one is a visitor & therefore special or family & therefore not. I hope it was a good visit over all.

      Delete
  5. I will always choose coffee, and thank you for offering! Now that I’m teaching (via zoom) every day, I find that I crave a late afternoon cup of coffee but have not succumbed to that yet. If I choose coffee, maybe I can avoid the afternoon nap. I expect I’m not the only serious introvert here who finds teaching exhausting. So much being on, even more on zoom than when we’re actually copresent.

    I didn’t set goals for last week, so no follow up there, but rolling ahead with goals for this week.

    1 Submit current book review
    2 Keep up with grading!
    3 submit to upcoming writing competition
    4 work on lit review for Photos conference presentation
    5 rake the front yard (hoping for more tolerable temperatures soon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you need to avoid caffeine late in the day? Would half-caff work for you? Or would it be better to do something else, like go outside for a few minutes?

      Delete
    2. I don't have problems with caffeine...just a change of habit. When I used to smoke, I drank coffee all day and all night. Since I quit smoking, it's coffee in the morning only. Not for any particular reason, so I'm mulling this one over.

      Delete
  6. A smile and a hello from those I do not know well goes far in making me feel welcome. The offer of tea or other refreshment from a butler (the front-facing person (I’ve been back on campus too long!) for a friend) is also welcoming. I plan to try to smile at most of the people I run across in my day, and ask about how those I know well--how was their summer, how are they managing the return to campus, that sort of thing.

    Now for some session goals:

    Mantra: Breathe
    Organization:
    Bring order to the work office by slashing and burning (only figuratively) the mass of paper inhabiting the space
    Go through bookshelf: scan important articles, return any books read/discarded as not useful
    File what is left
    Planning:
    Reverse outline partially written articles
    Plan next steps on each, or, alternatively, abandon
    Health:
    Continue to make doctors’ appointments, scans, and other fun things
    Writing:
    Write when it is fun or rewarding; read when writing is drudgery (within reason)

    This week’s goals:
    Go through one box in the home office, and deal with everything in it.
    Get better.

    I have much less stamina than usual, and still have to stop and rest on walks. I have lost eight pounds in the last four weeks, so that is good, even if the manner was highly unpleasant. There’s not much else going on in my life at the moment. I’m glad to see everyone this session, and hope everyone floats like mist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Miss Mitchell! Morrison will be scandalized if you try to make small talk with him. However, Cook would welcome it. . . . Perhaps you would be kind enough to visit the kitchen and try to mollify her after my frozen custard experiment.

      Delete
  7. As I responded to comments, I have worked myself back into the mindset of my character!

    The Bank Holiday on Monday has somewhat disarranged my week, which is why I have not called upon you until Wednesday. My apologies. If you wish to hear my news, here it is:

    *write 2000 words: I did in fact achieve this.

    *correct Johnson Minor's execrable Latin translations and prepare for Miss Baddesley's Greek lesson. Yes, I also completed these tasks.

    *open and inspect Sir John's crates from his sojourn on Crete. I unpacked three of Sir John's crates and three trunks of my own. I am pleased to be reunited with some of my books. My dear Mamma-in-law's pink teacups have found a safe home in the kitchen.

    *retire to bed at a suitable hour. Generally within half an hour of the time I have designated as suitable.

    *ask Cook to prepare frozen custard, under threat that if she does not, I will attempt it myself. Hrmph. Cook disapproves of frozen desserts, I think because they entail a good deal of work. However, she intimated that I can amuse myself as I like in the kitchen on her Day Out. This I did on the Bank Holiday. The frozen custard was satisfactory. If the weather holds, I will attempt it again, adding coconut oil to the recipe in order to make it richer.

    Goals for this week:
    *Revise my 2000 words for my writing group, work on spreadsheet, write another 1000 words either on current chapter or in preparation for another.
    *More correction of exercises attempted by both Johnson Minor and Miss Baddesley; further planning of instruction for the latter.
    *Arrange for my attendance at certain concerts.
    *Continue to retire and to rise at suitable hours, and to take exercise regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Copying my response for the first week over (made late 5th Sept):

    Next week isn't up yet, but I need to trade back to my work laptop shortly, and I'm TRYING not to blog/do personal stuff from my university issued machine (not always succeeding, but...). That was not a good week. I spent far too much time, especially considering we are still two weeks out from induction/freshers, on email and student support (still dealing with resits, who gets to return etc.), and I have stupid amounts of teaching prep to do, not just mine but also covering for others, and my Director of Studies (the admin role I wanted, but as "too needed" in the classroom to get) is pretty much unworried by COVID and thinks the university's "back to normal as far as possible" with precautions mostly "for the comfort of our more anxious community members" is fine. I was really feeling overwhelmed and worried, and got a bit all over the place verbose, too, so it was just tough for us to work together. My ability to translate a thought or intention into action is through the floor - the action sequence "get up - pee - feed cat - fetch hairbrush - brush out hair (I have past-waist-length hair and had been lazy about brushing it out owing to beihg barely-on-time to online meetings each morning this week, and it's juuuust wavy enough to tangle) - shower and wash and condition hair - get dressed" took about three hours because, brain squirrels.

    Goals:
    1) movement: M-Th were OK, then... no. Did both baskets. went through the fridge and threw out all the dodgy margarine tubs of unnamable remains and random out of date stuff which tends to accumulate when I'm stressed. Didn't CLEAN it, but it's more than nothing...
    2) No, I checked the timetables & sketched out the schedule in detail but that was it. A LOT to do.
    3) no.
    4) no. Felt very incompetent.

    Goals for this week:
    1) self-care: do 3 songs worth of exercise each day, "basket swap" at the end of the week, improve one small area of the house somehow. Clear off the reading chair in my work area.
    2) make a list of the essential VLE work I need to do before students return, and schedule it - do as much of the three first trimester skills-led modules as possible (do knowledge-led next week)
    3) get caught up on stupid CPD videos and things
    4) read over what we said we'd do for the grant that got funded, and make some initial notes.
    5) redo figures for Ferret (long standing members may recall that this paper has appeared for seevral years now...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As for the prompts; I will somewhat awkwardly embarrass myself (the butler being Exemplary will no doubt be beyond such vulgar emotions) with very picky questions about what KIND of tea and whether my coffee can be decaf and oat-milked etc. (one thing I have done over this painful 18 months is develop home made Fancy Beverages which meet all my Dietary Virtue attempts - e.g. decaf oat milk latte with a little maple syrup and a dash of concentrated liquid chai spice extract - and working out how to get the frothy topping etc.)

    "As many. of us negotiate returns or beginnings this year, you might want to reflect on what makes you feel welcomed? What actions, signals or rituals invite you to feel at home? In a spirit of kindness, how might we extend a welcome to those around us without burning ourselves out?"

    What makes ME feel welcomed is space, seating where I can park my fat self without it being so low I can't get up or with tight arms so I have to sit on the edge or get a numb leg etc. (and choice of chairs in meeting rooms! Blooming campus refurbished most meeting rooms with nice looking chairs with long tight metal arms that can't be removed (so I can't perch on the edge but have to cram myself in and risk breaking the chair or trapping a nerve (I am pear-shaped and in the side to side way, not the front to back way, on a moderately tall broad-hipped frame, so I have never done well with narrow seats even when I was at a healthier weight), and I have to hunt doewn armless chairs from other spaces to sit down for the meeting, which is INCREDIBLY EMBARRASSING. However, I've decided it's less embarrassing than breaking the arms off said chairs or trying to casually stand up and leave a meeting without a) bringing the chair with you coz you're kind of stuck or b) one or both legs numb/pins and needles from the pressure or c) hobbling because sciatic nerve yelling. Also the chairs aren't THAT nice quality and will look dated very soon. GROWL. I continue to try & fail to lose weight but natch this is still all my fault. And people wonder why I, an intravert with anxiety, multiple environmental intolerances, damaged joints and a weight problem, liked working from home...

    Anyway. AHEM. Yes. Several kinds of seating help, willingness to provide information in writing helps (no, I cannot just "watch that video" every time I need to check a step on some computer thing). Diversity helps, a little bit of lived in personality to a place. Not too crowded, not too hot.

    What I can do: tell people I'm pleased to see them (from behind my mask)! Make all information available in multiple forms for the oddities who can't absorb from written words or prefer other options, and be extra open to requests for diversity of activity.

    Normal years I'd bake brownies, but right now I lack the energy & I'm not sure it's really appropriate anyway (surface cleaning type mandates are still very strong on campus, its just the masks and distancing and aerosol protocols that have pretty much gone away, sigh). But it's also remembering the little things, and having the energy and giving myself the care I need to be able to be calm, kind - to project a presence which is a spring of fresh water to others rather than a black hole.

    ReplyDelete