the grid

the grid

Sunday 12 April 2020

Week 14: Declaring what is enough


Hoping that I’m reading Dame Eleanor’s post correctly, I’m
posting last week’s goals and session goals below to give us an opportunity to think about what we want to do wrap up this session. The world has been transformed from that place back in January when we thought about what we might set out to do. Any sense of guilt, self-deprecation, or self-doubt is misplaced in this moment. But TLQ gives us an opportunity once again to reconsider what we’ve accomplished and what we might want to do next. Be kind to yourself in determining what is enough for you to do this coming week, and what you might set out to do in the next part of the year. Your goals for the coming week might be aligned with session goals but might also be about what you can set aside for the time being. This is especially the case as many projects requiring fieldwork and many conferences have been postponed.  

Daisy 
1) Finish reviewing co-authored paper and send off to journal 
2) Open bottle of wine with co-author for virtual celebration of paper, it has been incubating for ages… far too long! 
3) Keep neglected paper on front burner and work on figures 
4) Review student’s thesis draft, yay! 
5) Run at least 4 times 
6) Practice chosen pieces at least 4 times 
7) Try to vary kid activities more, one can only do the kitchen chemistry thing so many times... 
8) Get outside a few times 

Dame Eleanor Hull 
Daily stretching, walking, 8 hours sleep. 
Class plans for next week (definitely) and beyond (as I can); more grading; maintain virtual office hours. 
3-4 days: some language study and some reading/note-taking. 
Prep for 2 meetings. 
At least 2 items from my Life Stuff list. 

Elizabeth Anne Mitchell 
Submit to having picture taken for passport application. 
Do more grunt work (glossary, citations, and the like) on Illuminated or the dissertation, NOT the team paper. x 5. 
Get up and stretch every 45 minutes. 
Walk aroung the block 4 times a day. 
Meditate 3 times per day. 

Good Enough Woman (held over) 
Work: 
1. Get next week's Brit Lit reading done by Sunday. 
2. Do most of the prep for next week to clear the way for heavier grading. 
3. Find short stories for independent study student. Create first few assignments for her. 
4. Research/write for 1 hour. 
People: 
1. Send at least three cards/letters to people. 
2. Have lunch with my mom. 
3. Float like mist through all four of my son's 4-H activities this week. Support him. 
Wellness: 
1. Walk 4x 
2. Meditate 4x 
3. Skip late-night treat 3x. Fast at least 13 hours 2x. 
4. Reschedule appointment that got cancelled. 

heu mihi 
1. Read 30 pages of research-related book 
2. Exercise, homeschool, go outside 
3. Do one Domestic Challenge (so far, we've done the preliminary yard work and cleaned the windows) 
4. One bout of weeding 

humming42 
1 write every day 
2 continue to create content for classes that were moved online 
3 work on conference abstract 
4 review two journal articles 
5 and adopting Susan’s goal of being kind to myself and others 

JaneB (held over) 
1) Do one ACTUAL WORK THING, one CHORE THING and one FUN THING every day. 
2) aim for 5 fruit and veg a day, plenty of water, no bread, and small amounts of sugar. 
2a) start to work out what a realistic schedule might look like (we got the news of closure Monday, we still don't know how it will work, we had to write plans over the weekend which then need to be approved (but haven't been yet so I'm reluctant to make too much of a start on prep)). And I have to do as much as I can NOT to let my sleep schedule drift... 
3) spend an hour with my NaNo writing, because I enjoy it 
4) keep building that list of research obligations… 
  
Karen (held over) 
-clear 2 boxes (the ones next to the bookshelf) 
-start all course F draft documents 
-run x 2, yoga x 3. Wondering if I can fit in a weights session somewhere in my schedule because I realise I need to work on upper body strength, but can't see where. 
-order wind sock, book in 4 field recording days. 
-write up notes from this mornings library trip 

KJHaxton (held over) 
- collate sustainability paperwork for two organisational units 
- produce 2 lectures worth of distance learning for polymer chemistry course 
- carry out student meetings by phone 
- walk 10000 steps each day (we're doing this fitness tracker challenge thing at work) 
Anything beyond this is a bonus. 

Oceangirl101 (held over) 
1) write/work on book, but mostly Ch 7 3x a week, for 2 hrs each- will involve some number crunching, creation of figures, writing and some revision of Ch 3 
2) exercise x 3 
3) meet with undergrad students/grad that I am advising on lab projects/independent studies etc. 
4) finish syllabi, start BB sites for two courses 

Susan 
1. Get up by 7:30 every day. (I'm always awake, it's getting out of bed that's the issue) 
2. Finish polishing Intro on Famous Author, fill in examples. Keep moving forward. 
3. One chapter a day of book for review 
4. One year of each of two journals 
5. Clear off two more desk piles (I'm beginning to see the surface, and want to clear it all off, but I think two piles is do-able.) 
6. 5 minutes in the garden 
7. Finish going through cookbooks 
8 Keep walking 
9. Read for fun 
10. Be kind to myself and others 

Waffles 
1. Unmask intersectionality paper 
2. T32 bits (dues Wednesday) 
3. Tobacco paper (due tomorrow) 
4. Texas study measure 
5. COVID and MH - keep chipping away at online survey 
6. Asthma paper 
7. YRBS paper 


Session goals: 

Daisy 
1)Keep teaching in its place, do not let my 200 students take over every part of my week.. . . limit teaching (prep/lecture/admin/students) to two days of each week. I have my schedule set up to have two days completely devoted to teaching stuff, with one morning extra for overflow. 
2)Finish 2 papers as first author – those projects are completely mine and I need to get them done because they are holding up other projects. 
3)Prepare for possible sabbatical by thinking about long-term goals and projects and funding. One of those is easy, I have projects that will keep me busy from here to 2050, but need to think about strategically funding some of them, and I need to think about how I want my work to go over the next 10 years… Also think about sabbatical logistics and how to balance work and renewal? I heard that’s a thing… 

Dame Eleanor Hull 
Live with uncertainty and work the process w/r/t selling the house. 
Complete one conference paper; plan it as an article from the beginning. 
Send out another essay, about half done now. 
Make some progress on book. 
Manage teaching, grading, and admin efficiently. 
Get tax stuff taken care of in a timely way. 
Make arrangements for spring and summer travel. 
Regular exercise, daily stretching, good sleep hygiene, and cooking to accommodate dietary restrictions. 
Have some sort of social life. 

Elizabeth Anne Mitchell 
Move about for ten minutes of every hour. 
Continue to streamline the work office. I have less space in my far more congenial office, so it is time to be unsentimental. 
Draft Elzevier. 
Begin editing special issue. 
Edit the Illuminated project. 

Good Enough Woman 
Work: 
1. Write/Research 2 hours per week (in 30 or 60 min chunks) 
2. Work on hacks and strategies to avoid being crushed by grading 
People: 
3. Send 3-5 letters/notes/cards to people per week 
4. Meet my mom 1-2 times per month for breakfast or lunch 
5. Meet two friends per month for coffee/walk/meal 
6. Prioritize my son’s curricular/extra-curricular/college prep needs 
Wellness: 
7. Walk 4-5x per week (40-60 min per walk) 
8. Meditate at least three times per week (3-5 minutes each time) 
9. Get enough sleep (in bed by 11:00-11:30 most week nights) 
10. Schedule and keep necessary med appointments for the kids and myself 

heu mihi 
1. Daily writing/research. 30 minutes/day, M-F. 
2. Language work: maybe not 5x/week, but continue to make progress. 
3. Writing projects to complete: 1 conference paper, submit Wonder (which I've had kicking around forEVer). Ideally, draft Kzoo paper (which is for a pedagogy roundtable and so not too high-stress). 
4. Prepare preliminary materials for promotion--reference names and personal statement. 
5. Prioritize research and wellness over teaching and service. 

humming42 
1 complete and submit five book reviews 
2 prepare for and attend April conference 
3 write and submit abstracts for two (maybe three) conferences 
4 make steady progress on Squares paper 
5 work on developing a consistent writing practice 

JaneB 
A) get back into good self-care habits.... these centre around eating mindfully and sensibly for my current middle-aged body rather than my teenage, sleeping enough (at times that suit the wider world, not my body clock, which is totally messed up), moving/stretching so my joints only dislike me rather than hate me, not letting my environment become a chaotic mess, and making the time for guilt-free recreation. 
B) TRQ things. Main goals here are to do what is necessary without too much embellishment (I easily get drawn in to making classes the best they can possibly be, and that's just not realistic when carrying an overload and writing new material, so aiming for every session to be good enough is the priority (especially the topics in my own field where I could easily spend a week or two just reading around and getting up to date, I'm sooooo behind on literature). I'd also like to keep decent notes every time a task related to my new admin roles comes up, so that I have one source for "last time this is how it worked" - no guarantee it will be that way the next time I come to it, see "ongoing crisis state", but at least I'd have a concrete source for checking to see if I'm losing my mind when someone says I did things wrong... 
C) TLQ things - research, which divides into four areas, grant writing (we have high targets - of course the crisis, understaffing etc. does not excuse us from being held to those!), paper writing (main ones this session are likely to be FlatPaper1, ProblemChild1, LikesMath2), current projects where I am actually part of the group doing the research (key ones are FlatProject, FavouriteIslandsProject, one I've vaguely mentioned before which I will rename FluffyProject, and CommercialProject) current projects where I have a role in supervising others (I didn't actually officially win funding, but I got roped in to be part of a team delivering a very large multi-site project, and have a new post-doc arriving end of January (who I will be lead supervisor for) - BrownProject, a one year project including a part time RA to tend - EdgeProject - and a PhD student to recruit for September - who will get their own nickname in due course) 
D) A key goal for me this year is about kindness and being open, about building community in the face of adversity... So I will be setting goals around community building and collegiality. 

Karen 
-have 3 x course amendment, 1 x course development paperwork in to next level up committee 
-submit expression of interest for promotion 
-do text install of grass prelim work 
-write each day to Scrivener word target on might-be-book 
-have vege garden set for winter 
-build and maintain habits of run 3 x week, yoga 2x week 

KJHaxton 
finish and submit the sustainable chemistry manuscript 
Analyse data and draft a feedback project manuscript 
Write new lecture course, deliver, evaluate 
Modify sustainable chemistry lectures with decolonisation in mind 
Present at national STEM education conference 
Submit sustainability benchmark documents 
Complete SFHEA application 

Oceangirl101 
complete Ch 7 of the book, 
plan for summer fieldwork, 
remain balance in my personal life with exercise 3x a week and doing social things 1-2 x a week, 
continue healthy eating and weight loss. 

Susan 
1. By mid- April, have 20,000 words on Writer 
2. Revise Race/Patriarchy to give it in early March 
3. Write essay on weird and interesting plays for conference 
4. Get all contributors for the Big Book lined up 
5. Regular exercise 
6. Read books 
7. Aim for 7 hours of sleep 

Waffles 
1. Submit IRIE paper 
2. Resubmit intersectionality paper 
3. Resubmit PTSD paper 
4. Draft hate crimes paper 
5. Draft relationship identity paper 
6. Release Latinx survey into the wild 
7. Have reviewed all articles and have intro and methods written for MST review paper 
8. Have a funded NIH K!!! 


23 comments:

  1. What is enough, this week? What a great question, and thank you for posing it! Basic life activities and teaching are taking most of my attention. I relieve stress by exercising, so that’s taking center stage, with two walks a day most days, sometimes one longer one, for an average of around 4 miles a day. I’m still in just-keeping-up mode w/r/t teaching, not really managing even my low goals for research. True, I’ve accepted a lot of new admin stuff: 4 new committee assignments this week! 3/4 of these are ad hoc, 2 related to awards of one kind or another, so okay. But that shows why research, aside from prep for Monday-morning dead language group, is on hold for now. I regret this, but even though I think I’m doing better with the stay-home lifestyle than many people are, clearly I’m still stressed and it shows up in executive-function issues, try as I will to stay calm and carry on. I do a lot of zoning out over a jigsaw puzzle: Cat Fancy is more than half done! It’s excellent distraction.

    I’ll do more reflecting on session goals in the next post, which I’ll put up on Friday, but I will say that for my first goal, “Live with uncertainty and work the process w/r/t selling the house,” I may have an announcement in that final post’s comments!

    HOW I DID on last week’s goals:
    Daily stretching, walking, 8 hours sleep. YES w/r/t exercise, sleep iffy about half the time.
    Class plans for next week (definitely) and beyond (as I can); more grading; maintain virtual office hours. YES.
    3-4 days: some language study and some reading/note-taking. NO.
    Prep for 2 meetings. YES (last minute, but yes).
    At least 2 items from my Life Stuff list. YES (2).

    GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:
    Daily stretching, walking, 8 hours sleep.
    Class plans for next week (definitely) and beyond (as I can); more grading; maintain virtual office hours.
    Read submissions for awards, fill in forms/communicate with committees.
    At least 2 items from my Life Stuff list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some huge committee responsibilities, even if they are ad hoc. You may not have tasks to attend to or meetings to attend all the time, but those service responsibilities weigh in a particular manner--like there is always a (growing) peripheral feeling that you have obligations. I'm not sure I know how to explain this, or if other people also feel this...

      We've ordered three different puzzles, and the first is scheduled for delivery today! I look forward to it.

      Delete
  2. “So, look, if you were me, what would you do?”

    “I suppose I’d hope that the newest books published would be the most likely to be unique to this world, and just collect everything on the most recent best-seller lists, and hope for the best. Or if you have time to be discriminating, don’t get anything that the author has been working on for years and years, because that could have been started before the split—if we really did split off just a few years ago, but of course it could have happened longer ago and it only really started to show recently. Focus on books that are truly new, planned, written, and published in the last couple of years. And on books that seem to address elements that distinguish this world from the one you were trying to get to.”

    “I guess that makes sense,” Charlotte said. “I mean, since truth is stranger than fiction, your fiction might pop up somewhere else, but without a clear assignment, I have to start somewhere. Any other advice?”

    I hesitated. “This is a long shot.”

    “Go on,” Charlotte urged me. “We might as well consider everything.”

    “Since the Library collects fiction, I assume some Librarian has already collected any unique-to-this-world medieval romances. And I hope that was done after they came out in modern editions,” I added, parenthetically, “because that would be so much faster than copying them out in some past century. But I digress. Recently I’ve been doing some work on a Latin text that is a fifteenth-century translation of an earlier vernacular romance. At least in this world, it’s unique, a single manuscript, and all the other texts in the manuscript really are history, not fiction. So possibly it could have been overlooked by whoever came here to check on unique texts. And it might not be unique for the Library’s purposes, especially if this world recently split from its parent; in that case, you’d be better off with fiction published in the last few years. But it has been edited, and I can give you a PDF right now, if you want it.”

    “It can’t hurt,” Charlotte said. “And then I suppose I had better go shopping.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my synapses are firing to figure out what text you mean. Were I not in the middle of a cybersecurity literature review due tomorrow, I'd probably have it already. But I will dig around after class--unless I can have a PDF, too. LOL

      Delete
    2. Thank you! My incurable curiosity is even further tickled. :)

      Delete
  3. What is enough? Some days breathing has to be enough, because, that's what I can do. I am keeping out of the way and not moving virus around and trying to support my students and yelling at my computer a lot. And eating a lot of things I probably shouldn't. Work, sadly, has reverted somewhat to people being entitled or awkward for the hell of it or Making Assumptions about what I'll be fine to do and it's wearing on me.

    Just forget those week goals, they are irrelevant. A different country.

    So, session goals:
    A: self-care. Yeah. a BATTLE. But being at home is at least making 'sleeping at times that suit the world' also suit me a bit better. And I'm doing more intentional stretching and more intentional and interesting cooking, which is a win. recreation is a bit shot because I can't concentrate and I scroll a lot of social media and computer stress is Driving Me Nuts and eating a lot of my time... but yes, self-care remains important.
    B) TRQ things. Main goals here are to do what is necessary
    without too much embellishment (I easily get drawn in to making classes the best they can possibly be, and that's just not realistic when carrying an overload and writing new material, so aiming for every session to be good
    enough is the priority (especially the topics in my own field where I could easily spend a week or two just reading around and getting up to date, I'm sooooo behind on literature). well that was prophetic... I'd also like to keep decent notes every time a task related to my new admin roles comes up, so that I have one source for
    "last time this is how it worked" - no guarantee i will be that way the next time I come to it, see "ongoing crisis state", but at least I'd have a concrete source for checking to see if I'm losing my mind when someone says I did things wrong... nope! But no reason to...
    C) TLQ things - research, which divides into four areas, grant writing (nothing!), paper writing (main ones this session are likely to be FlatPaper1, ProblemChild1, LikesMath2), current projects where I am actually part of the group doing the research (key ones are FlatProject,
    FavouriteIslandsProject, one I've vaguely mentioned before which I will rename FluffyProject, and CommercialProject) current projects where I have a role in supervising others (I didn't actually officially win funding, but I got roped
    in to be part of a team delivering a very large multi-site project, and have a new post-doc arriving end of January (who I will be lead supervisor for) - BrownProject, a one year project including a part time RA to tend - EdgeProject
    - and a PhD student to recruit for September - who will get their own nickname in due course) all still valid. Mostly neglected. BrownProject would have started fieldwork in April...
    D) A key goal for me this year is about kindness and being open, about building community in the face of adversity... So I will be setting goals around community building and collegiality. Well that has been very appropriate

    The goals remain appropriate. The achievements will likely be small. This week's goals - well, Monday & Tuesday I am supposedly off, and then I have grading, plus should do some research things. So... hmm... Do some things? Stay calm? Read some stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reorientation to home does seem like a good self-care enhancement. I'm sorry about the technology issues--I learned how short my patience is when I failed to realize that I needed to set up a whole different zoom account to go to a faculty meeting where my chair used my campus email to invite me. Ugh.

      Also sorry about the Entitled People. They are the worst. And they take advantage of people who are compassionate and empathetic, simply because they feel entitled.

      Delete
  4. Well things are certainly different than January – my session goals seem kind of quaint and irrelevant. I do need advice on the last one. Sabbatical is supposed to start in July, but of course I cannot do field work (aka the thing about my job and my field that I actually live for!), and it is quite likely that all my planned travel I wrote into the application will be impossible, so obvious disadvantages there and I cannot execute the plan as made. Do I ask for a deferral? I could do that, either for 6 months or a year. The only (huge!) downside to doing that is the chance we’ll still be teaching online in Fall. It seems to be a high probability here, no-one has come out and said it, but I feel it in the air… Given the experience the last few weeks I hate every single thing about online teaching, and that is not even counting the fact that all the labs for the class were practically done and we only had to shift one to online, the others would be a nightmare to do… So the choice is between a No-field-work-or-travel sabbatical with everyone at home just like now (feeling the hives already) vs. nightmare of teaching online? I’m not sure…
    Thinking about what is enough, and which goals are important? Hmmm… Things I’ve prioritized the last month over my actual papers, an incomplete list… My child, for giving her structure and activities and an insane amount of attention; doing major work for a paper with co-author who has a terminal illness and is wrapping up projects; grant reports with co-authors so we can all reapply for new stuff; lots of little grant applications to support students next year given that they can’t count on working at all during this coming weird summer; helping co-author finalize a joint paper; helping students with everything from evictions to fires to actual quarantine to anxiety to baby due dates make it through a tough course; and I think that is enough…and I think those were more important in the long run.
    Last week’s goals:
    1) Finish reviewing co-authored paper and send off to journal DONE
    2) Open bottle of wine with co-author for virtual celebration of paper, it has been incubating for ages… far too long! DONE 
    3) Keep neglected paper on front burner and work on figures UUHHMMM… NOPE
    4) Review student’s thesis draft, yay! FORGOT ABOUT THIS...
    5) Run at least 4 times DONE 5
    6) Practice chosen pieces at least 4 times TWICE
    7) Try to vary kid activities more, one can only do the kitchen chemistry thing so many times…. PRETTY GOOD

    This week’s goals:
    1) Get back to neglected paper and work on figures
    2) Review student’s thesis draft, for real!
    3) Run at least 4 times
    4) Practice more than twice
    5) More outside activities when it eventually stops raining…
    6) Finish course grading and submit all final grades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the sabbatical front, I'll just say (as someone currently on sabbatical) it's really hard not to be able to do what you planned to do. But obviously that's a trade off: is it more frustrating not to do field work or to teach online..

      I know our admin is thinking about whether we would have to teach online in the fall, though my source thinks it more likely that we will all be wearing masks and sitting far apart...

      Delete
    2. Our president announced that classes *will* be face-to-face in the fall, but my chair imagines something more like your source, Susan. She suggested that, for example, if you teach MW, you'd have half your students come to class on Monday and maintain social distance, while the other half came to class on Wednesday. It would be a hybrid course so the remainder of the contact hours (equivalent to 70 minutes/week) would be online.

      Delete
  5. Our semester is almost over--two weeks + two days to go!--and I really want to put research back on the table before summer gets going. There's a lot that I'd like to read, and *thinking* would be a glorious change.

    Oh, and here's a thing. My book came out last week. I still haven't actually seen it--no author's copies could be sent from the main office--but I hope to get a box of them sometime! It doesn't feel real, or like cause for celebration, until I see the index. (The index was what made my first book feel real.)

    Last week:
    1. Read 30 pages of research-related book - YES, DID
    2. Exercise, homeschool, go outside - Sure.
    3. Do one Domestic Challenge (so far, we've done the preliminary
    yard work and cleaned the windows) - Experimental ivy transplant; vacuumed (the latter is really just regular maintenance but had been long delayed)
    4. One bout of weeding - Several bouts!

    Session:
    Like most of you, I find that most of my session goals now look like relics from another era. Which they are, I guess.
    1. Daily writing/research. 30 minutes/day, M-F. - I don't even remember how I did with this pre-virus. Okay? I think?
    2. Language work: maybe not 5x/week, but continue to make
    progress. - Ehhhh I need a new book to be working on. This was pretty half-assed.
    3. Writing projects to complete: 1 conference paper, submit
    Wonder (which I've had kicking around forEVer). Ideally, draft Kzoo paper (which
    is for a pedagogy roundtable and so not too high-stress).
    -Conference paper was written, but the conference was canceled.
    -I did submit Wonder and got it accepted!
    -No need to worry about that Kalamazoo paper until next year.
    4. Prepare preliminary materials for promotion--reference names
    and personal statement.
    -Got the reference names. Will start on personal statement this week, I think.
    5. Prioritize research and wellness over teaching and service.
    -Wellness: definitely. I've been running a lot (pretty short distances--I don't do more than 3 miles, usually), and I'm getting both faster and lighter. Research: Not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the book! Is it available on amazon yet?
      Here's a virtual glass of champagne!

      Delete
    2. I also raise a glass in congratulations! And I understand completely that the print book makes it real in a way that the ebook does not.

      Delete
  6. Topic: The past month that I have been in this new and unusual world have made this a perfect topic. There are so many things that have altered their position of importance in my life. As a introverted curmudgeon, I thought that working from home would suit me perfectly, but such is not the case. I miss the interaction with my colleagues, both those in my department, and some of those I see only at meetings. I have several online friends that I have neglected for months because of the invasiveness of social media. On my birthday earlier this week, I was touched by the people who wished me well, despite my disappearance; most of them asked how I was doing. I have always feared that I was not the most interesting of friends; I come to realize that fear has made me a very bad friend, indeed. I do whine and complain a lot, and I want all of you to know how much I appreciate your letting me do that here.

    A long, convoluted way to say that keeping in touch with my friends, both those I know IRL and those I have online, has become a priority for me in this lockdown period and going forward. I have unearthed my stationery and plan to send out cards and letters as a new goal.

    Another realization is my health needs to move much farther up the list than it has been. I do walk a bit and meditate, but I do not eat as well as I should, and I do not walk as much as I did on campus. My younger son told me about some research that walking longer distances was better than walking quickly, so I am going to try for endurance over speed. Those new goals will be on my list as well.

    Finally, research. In my quest to prove myself a valuable colleague, worthy of my new department’s willingness to take on the dented can, I have let research languish. However, I remembered during a quiet time last week how much I regretted getting the cancellation notice for Kazoo. Although I have hung back in the shadows the last few years, I always come home envigorated by the discussions and dive into the pool of research. I will miss that this year. I do realize that I can do the research--although as Susan said, EEBO cannot measure up to the BL--and I want to make viable research goals as well.

    For the most part, the session goals can carry forward. Substitute “home office” for “work office,” and “Berners and North” for “Elzevier,” and they’re getting there. Add contact with friends, better eating, and more walking and they’re good.

    Last week’s goals:
    Submit to having picture taken for passport application. Yes.
    Do more grunt work (glossary, citations, and the like) on Illuminated or the dissertation, NOT the team paper. x 5. 3 for team paper, but 2 for Illuminated
    Get up and stretch every 45 minutes. Yes.
    Walk aroung the block 4 times a day. Yes.
    Meditate 3 times per day. Yes.

    Analysis:
    I managed to get some makeup on and submit to having a passport picture taken, so that’s done. The team paper was moved a week earlier, so that submarined my working on my stuff for the full five times, but I’m concentrating on having that off the board earlier than expected.

    I did the walking, although the cold, rainy weather made it speed walking at times. Spring decided to absent the premises this week. I looked out the garret window on Monday afternoon to see that it was snowing.

    Next week’s goals:
    Do peer review for class.
    Write introduction and conclusion for team paper.
    Spend 30 minutes every day on Illuminated.
    Order stamps.
    Write one card x 5.
    Poke about visibly on social media ½ per day x 5.
    Check on my sister at least every other day.
    Walk up at least two flights every 45 minutes.
    Walk around two blocks twice a day.

    I hope everyone is staying well and coping with isolation. Float like mist, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this lovely reflection. I'm kind of cynical about the woo-woo aspect of the pandemic where people say that we should consider carefully what we want to "go back to." Your long view is helpful.

      You helped me to realize that rather than critiquing my friends from junior high for spending so much time on Facebook, I should just enjoy the fact they are there and we are bringing little bits of light to each other's lives.

      Also, I'm going to guess that you are far more critical of yourself than anyone else could ever be.

      Delete
  7. I don’t see that there’s really anything I can do this week to get me closer to fulfilling session goals. The best thing I can do is probably to be grateful that those goals are still in reach some day, that the semester is almost over, that I can regroup for summer in a little bit more than a month.

    Since sheltering in place in my household means *not* going to the grocery store, I spend an inordinate amount of time shopping for food and household needs online. When I wonder where the day goes, I finally realized that a lot of it goes there. With hope, this won’t be a new lifestyle.

    Last week:
    1 write every day: no
    2 continue to create content for classes that were moved online: no
    3 work on conference abstract: meh
    4 review two journal articles: no
    5 and adopting Susan’s goal of being kind to myself and others: trying my best

    This week, half gone:
    1 submit book review
    2 submit abstract for online conference
    3 review two journal articles
    4 think about regrouping and futuring (since I’m distracted by it, I should make it a goal, yes?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like my session goals were two years ago, and the future is so murky it is illegible at the moment. Your topic helped me start thinking, but there is more to think about.

      We spend inordinate amounts of time doing online grocery shopping, partly because things we want/need are what everyone else wants/needs, like flour! Then we have to wait for days until a delivery spot opens up. Sigh. I agree, I hope this is not the new normal!

      Delete
    2. A ridiculous quantity fo flour is coming from amazon tomorrow. Now we're on a mad hunt for Fleischmann's yeast!

      Delete
  8. Sigh. The session? Back when I didn't spend my time preparing for the apocalypse?

    Session goals
    1. By mid- April, have 20,000 words on Writer - Maybe 15000
    2. Revise Race/Patriarchy to give it in early March DONE - and I think I'm making progress on thinking this through
    3. Write essay on weird and interesting plays for conference NO - conference canceled, rescheduled for next year, when I'll do this paper
    4. Get all contributors for the Big Book lined up YES! Much easier than we expected.
    5. Regular exercise YES (has been helped by apocalypse)
    6. Read books NOT as much as I'd like, but some
    7. Aim for 7 hours of sleep MEH

    I'm behind on Famous Author, but the only thing that really went out the window was a side excursion to weird plays, because the two conferences I was presenting it at were both canceled. But working the past few weeks has been a struggle.

    1. Get up by 7:30 every day. (I'm always awake, it's getting out
    of bed that's the issue) 3 days, maybe?
    2. Finish polishing Intro on Famous Author, fill in examples.
    Keep moving forward. MOSTLY, still some examples to go
    3. One chapter a day of book for review NO
    4. One year of each of two journals YES
    5. Clear off two more desk piles (I'm beginning to see the
    surface, and want to clear it all off, but I think two piles is do-able.) NO (My working piles went on top of the piles to be cleared, so I couldn't see them!)
    6. 5 minutes in the garden - most days, and some days much more
    7. Finish going through cookbooks NO
    8 Keep walking YES
    9. Read for fun NO
    10. Be kind to myself and others I think so

    I have just found the concentration hard, and I go up and down, so I have a day or two of effectiveness, and then crash. Lots of zooming with friends and family. I've been cooking more (I cooked dinner for 4 for Easter, and ate it by myself, bringing a plate to my mother the next morning; still eating leftovers.) But it was hard to have Easter remotely. I did well on getting up for several days, and then the last few days it's been, "Why get out of bed?"

    I have baked brownies and muffins, just about to start a sourdough; I've sewn (by hand) two face masks...

    So I'm thinking I just have to roll with it. I seem to be able to do one thing really a day.

    Also, the campus got us all premium subscriptions to the Calm app, so I'm going to try to use that for some meditation...

    Goals for the rest of this week:
    1. Famous Author: Let go of introduction, get back into early life chapter. Figure out education section

    2. 6 more journal issues (I seem to be able to do this, so that's what I'll do.

    3. Figure out a book to read for fun (clearly my current book is not "fun", which is why I'm not reading it.

    4. Get up at a regular time

    5. Keep walking

    6. Mindfulness/ relaxation?

    7. Keep on staying in touch with people

    8. Practice kindness to myself and others


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really great work on Author--15,000 words! I'm impressed. I hope that the Calm app is nice/useful; I've never tried it. Let us know what you think!

      Delete
    2. Awesome work on session goals! Considering the circumstances,that is tremendous.

      Delete
  9. The week check-in
    collate sustainability paperwork for two organisational units - DONE and submitted
    - produce 2 lectures worth of distance learning for polymer
    chemistry course - DONE, recorded, uploaded
    - carry out student meetings by phone - DONE
    - walk 10000 steps each day (we're doing this fitness tracker challenge
    thing at work) - ah not really, but around 7000 steps a day seems to be my average.



    ReplyDelete