About your house: this is a descriptive week. What is the house like? How big (or small), built when, in a single style or with additions from different periods? What do you like about it? Why do you want to keep it, rather than selling, as many of your friends/ advisors are urging you to do? (We'll get to its drawbacks next week.)
About your goals: How did you do last week? What do you plan to do in the coming week?
Daisy
Take day off!
Finalize syllabus and teach first classes
Read and edit student chapters
Read and edit student’s paper draft
Sort out teaching assistants
Sort out my schedule
Dame Eleanor Hull
- final revisions to W
- comment one set of grad assignments & devise a quiz
- prep discussion questions for other class
- re-do a travel voucher for the second time*
- swim twice, cardio/weights twice
- try to be more efficient in the mornings
heu mihi
1. Meet with a couple of folks about the committee.
2. Write 2500 words.
3. Exercise 4+ times, sit 1+ times
JaneB
SELF CARE
3x20 minutes of movement
reading, 1-2 creative things, 1-2 social things
LIFE ADMIN
List for declutterer
Don’t get lots more stuff
TEACHING/WORK ADMIN
Sort out ViLE sites and assessments for first semester classes
Do all the follow-ups to the resit programme results
Get details of new system and start to set up my objectives if I can work out
how
RESEARCH
Process model output and set next model running for modelling based project
make list of all the other ‘ongoing stuff’
Julie
1. Work on Big Article: aim for two days.
2. Teaching prep: contact all the tutors (mostly grad
students) on big new module, finalise readings for at least one seminar, submit
plan and readings for one of my two guest seminars, make lists of what needs to
be done for everything.
3. Life admin/house: chase plumber to fix shower, get
daughter ready for university, transfer some money to savings account, organise
study.
4. Kids: book restaurant for daughter's last evening, help
son with Latin revision and watch Vuelta highlights with him, take him to his
annual running club event.
5. Self-care/fun: run x 4, finish reading novel, friends for
dinner tomorrow, journal, try new recipe.
Susan
Research:
Review earlier papers I've written that I can use towards what I do this fall
Figure out how tantalizing bits of information might fit into them, enrich
them, expand questions etc.
Read through 4 reels of microfilm.
Other: try to walk every day
Well this week was grim. My uni has announced a voluntary exit scheme which will be followed by a substantial curriculum review then likely involuntary redundancies. The level of trauma and resignation among colleagues is hard to handle, and it's going to be really hard whatever happens, and whatever I personally decide. part of me is tempted by voluntary exit because two years ago when the last round started I was coming back from sick leave and had optimism about recovering more energy and enthusiasm, and I'm only a bit better than I was then but the context is, probably, more difficult. I'm not really old enough to retire and be financially stable (too long a gap until I can properly take pension) but oh, it's kind of tempting. I don't know, but it's all really upsetting, stressful and was so, so predictable. So this trimester is going to be _interesting_ regardless - accepted applications to leave will leave either end October or end November, part way through the semester, and that will be interesting. And makes it very hard to consider leaving, because of the chaos it will inflict on others, but part of me really wants to, to avoid the pain and stress that is to come. GRRRRR.
ReplyDeleteBut over to fantasy! The house is all old, but it's the sort of old which feels organic, parts probably separated by centuries of settling into the ground. From the photos, I love where it sits, not sticking out dramatically in the landscape but from the inside, its position commands sweeping views of sea and hill. It's not huge, but I think it has at least a library/study separate from a living room, and at least one bedroom besides the master - maybe more. The paperwork is a bit inconsistent and I haven't managed to go visit yet, In all that paperwork, there wasn't a floor plan, which seems a bit unusual. I didn't know the person who gave me this place, and it would feel terribly rude to make a decision without at least seeing it. Maybe I'll learn something about them from the journey and the visit which will help me understand what they meant by the gift, what the invisible strings are. Plus just look at that view!
LAST WEEK:
DeleteSELF CARE
3x20 minutes of movement - one
reading, 1-2 creative things, 1-2 social things - yes, yes, one plus some angsty conversations online about how to make decisions...
LIFE ADMIN
List for declutterer yes, but she couldn't come as her child was ill - next week!
Don’t get lots more stuff did more grown up sums and fretted instead. Did get takeout. It wasn't very good which feels extra annoying!
TEACHING/WORK ADMIN
Sort out ViLE sites and assessments for first semester classes two sites and their assessments set up ready for checking/approvals
Do all the follow-ups to the resit programme results some, others are pending
Get details of new system and start to set up my objectives if I can work out how ugh, no, distracted by all the stuff
RESEARCH
Process model output and set next model running for modelling based project yes, progressing nicely
make list of all the other ‘ongoing stuff’no, distracted by news
THE COMING WEEK:
Is quite quiet, but, unlikely to stay that way.
SELF CARE
3x20 minutes of movement
reading, 1-2 creative things, 1-2 social things
LIFE ADMIN
List for declutterer
Get electrician quote for a couple of jobs
Take cat to vet (nothing serious, I believe)
Don’t get lots more stuff
TEACHING/WORK ADMIN
Sort out slides for first lectures
Sort out checking process for ViLE sites and assessments
Get details of new system and start to set up my objectives if I can work out how
RESEARCH
Process more model output and set next model running for modelling based project
make list of all the other ‘ongoing stuff’
Continue to try and make a reasonable fist of a lot of ethics paperwork (le big sigh)