the grid

the grid

Sunday, 9 August 2026

2026 Summer session: Week 13

This is our last week for posting weekly goals, our last official check-in for this session is on August 16th when we will review goals for the summer… It certainly does not feel like we are quite there yet so I looked hard at the calendar to try and magic up a few more weeks of summer and I failed quite comprehensively. So yes, time to get those goals dusted off I guess?

  My garden produced a nice late summer surprise the last few days. The orange snake lily that I had seen no sign of and thought had given up the ghost reappeared virtually overnight, among the fuzzy purple stalks of prairie blazing star… (The bees like those!). 

 

 On that theme, if you feel so inclined… What surprised you this summer? 

 

Last week’s goals below…

DEH

- cut & shape M paper, finish PowerPoint
- pack, prep food, check in for flight, that sort of thing
- pay bills
- mail present to great-nephew
- enjoy the conference!

 JaneB
SELF-CARE:
* 4x20 intentional movement, 3 x making, 2 x small things with people, reading every day
* update the tasting menu and do at least one thing a day
* take the time to make nice attractive meals that are not just "the usual" a couple of days
HOME AND ENVIRONMENT:
* 75% of chores
* make progress on the Living Room Project
* do all the personal finance tasks on the summer list
TEACHING AND ADMIN:
* check the timetable release (it comes out Monday and all changes/errors spotted have to be provided by the Friday before I get back)
* do one high speed email triage (some missing resits, ongoing student support stuff)
RESEARCH:
* set at least one model running
Together those things should take no more than 2 hours

 Julie

Traveling!

 heu mihi
1. Write 4000 words (I'm trying to get back into this project before it falls apart altogether)
2. Clean the bathroom ceiling, which gets mildewy every year--stupid popcorn ceiling is SO HARD to clean!
3. Finish reading actual academic monograph that I've been trying to read all summer (it's good, I don't know what my problem is)
4. Select and arrange photos for anniversary book
5. Read student's exam documents

 Susan

1. Figure out two more research trips
2. Plan social events
3. Finish index work
4. Do last meeting of the committee which will not end
5. Find ways to exercise

 Daisy

Work on dossier and make actual progress
New student chapters
Major admin task
Major grant task
Sort out new faculty arrivals and on-boarding

8 comments:

  1. Hi everyone. What surprised me this summer? How slowly I'm getting over the academic year/relaxing properly, how various political entities can find new ways to be anti-people and anti-world... oh, and Mr Shoutypants has suddenly decided that it's safe to sleep on my bed properly, not just pop up for scritchies then sleep on the windowsill or floor in the same room. It's an honour to wake up and discover a small ball of cat has shoved himself under your arm and is snoring gently!

    LAST WEEK:
    I didn't do great this week - started with enthusiasm for the leave last weekend, but then I ran out of get up and go - I've felt like I'm recovering from being ill all week, which probably means I really did still need to relax and rest. Hopefully next week will be a bit less subdued, because whilst we still have some weeks to go before students are back, when I start back at work on Monday next, it's all "downhill to the new academic year". Ugh, I am not ready!

    SELF-CARE:
    * 4x20 intentional movement, 3 x making, 2 x small things with people, reading every day one, yes at least, one thing, yes
    * update the tasting menu and do at least one thing a day no!
    * take the time to make nice attractive meals that are not just "the usual" a couple of days only once (did get some fancier than normal take out one day as well, as a treat)
    HOME AND ENVIRONMENT:
    * 75% of chores no, about 50%
    * make progress on the Living Room Project YES - ordered the shelving units etc. which should be delivered next week
    * do all the personal finance tasks on the summer list none!
    TEACHING AND ADMIN:
    * check the timetable release (it comes out Monday and all changes/errors spotted have to be provided by the Friday before I get back) yes, still need to report some issues
    * do one high speed email triage (some missing resits, ongoing student support stuff) yes
    RESEARCH:
    * set at least one model running yes
    Together those things should take no more than 2 hours about three hours due to me being stupidly slow in setting up models mostly

    COMING WEEK:
    Also on leave. Hoping for more actual doing of things not related to work and not too much of the "icky back to work soon" inertia feelings!

    SELF-CARE:
    * 4x20 intentional movement, 3 x making, 2 x small things with people, reading every day
    * update the tasting menu and do at least one thing a day
    * take the time to make nice attractive meals that are not just "the usual" a couple of days
    HOME AND ENVIRONMENT:
    * 75% of chores
    * make more progress on the Living Room Project
    * do all the personal finance tasks on the summer list
    TEACHING AND ADMIN:
    * finalise comments on the timetable release (due this Friday so can't wait til next week)
    * one high speed email triage (some missing resits, ongoing student support stuff)
    * set up new teaching bullet journal/daily notebook (fun because it involves nice things like washi tape and writing in all the headings in nice writing, NOT working!)
    RESEARCH: nothing
    Together those things should take no more than 2 hours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a lot of consistent progress, so yay! I hope you enjoy setting up your next bullet journal!

      Delete
  2. Yes for Mr. Shoutypants realizing that your bed is his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was supposed to be a reply to JaneB

      Delete
    2. Mr Shoutypants deserves an entry of his own! I love tiny cat snores.

      Delete
  3. What's surprised me this summer: how tired I am. It's been a slow summer. And I shouldn't be surprised, but the energizer bunny I'm not right now!

    Last week:
    1. Figure out two more research trips YES, in theory
    2. Plan social events YES
    3. Finish index work YES
    4. Do last meeting of the committee which will not end YES
    5. Find ways to exercise NO

    I spent the week not getting sick, but being not well. (clearly some upper respiratory thing, with a cough but mostly a dry cough.) If that makes sense. I finished the index (the formatting was a nightmare) and sent it off to someone who was on holiday. I had the last committee meeting, reached out to a few people about getting together, bought tickets to the theatre (with others). I've figured out how I'm doing the next two trips, one of which is part vacation, now just have to nail down the details. Partly it involved flipping my schedule so I did holiday before research, because events in the city where the research is take over the city in August. I managed a day in the library, but more time organizing stuff at home. So not bad.

    Goals for this week:
    1. Look at manuscripts that might be helpful
    2. Start thinking through plenary talk in November
    3. Logistics for trip to archive next week
    4. Book travel and hotels for research trip at end of month.
    5. Enjoy time with friends and colleagues
    6. Keep reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big life changes are tiring no matter what! You got stuff done despite not being really well, so congratulations on that--and also here's some encouragement to rest and take care of yourself. So glad the committee is over now!

      Delete
  4. I love the orange and purple combo! Vibrant!

    Surprises: the summer went even faster than I expected. No one in my cycling party suffered heat stroke in the south of France. June had really perfect weather, which I appreciate since it has been hot, humid, and smoky in July & the start of August. Not really a surprise: time does not stop when I go somewhere else -- I do not travel to Elfland and get to come back to the moment I left, sigh.

    How I did:
    - cut & shape M paper, finish PowerPoint: YES (on flight -- enjoyed an unusually roomy seat on the way to the conference and could work in comfort!)
    - pack, prep food, check in for flight, that sort of thing: YES
    - pay bills: YES except two that I still need to take care of
    - mail present to great-nephew: YES
    - enjoy the conference!: YES, very much!

    Last set of goals, oh dear oh my:
    - get back into a routine (for exercise; morning stuff; evening winding down)
    - finish the most recently requested set of revisions to W essay & send it off
    - one hour each reading for next project and working on M festschrift essay
    - probably more editorial stuff b/c co-editor has gone AWOL again
    - write to some friends

    I hope there will be some "also" items, but I won't list everything on the "would be nice" or "has to happen" list.

    ReplyDelete