Hello!
Our picture of the day is from one of the lovely gardens I saw in my field work area (on the day that it was not torrential rain and hurricane winds…). Lavender is just the classic summer plant for many areas, I love bringing a few sprigs inside for colour and it immediately cheers up a desk, kitchen, or night table (if the cats don’t eat it…)…
So, two prompt options! First – what is your favourite herby or flowery, botanical-based cocktail, infusion, drink etc. that brings to mind the best of summer? Maybe we can make a few this week?
Second if you are in a work mood – what is one little thing about your work that always makes you smile or cheer up at the thought? A little lavender bouquet of sorts for your mental desk…
Have a wonderful week!
DEH
-
more revisions to W-essay
- try to finish editing before the press has conniptions
- 2 hours M-work; try to get conference draft done
- review grad student's conference draft
- get a massage, cut hair, swim 3 miles ONO, read book for SF/F group
- write letters or e-mail various people, including sending postcards acquired
in France
- plan out the rest of the summer, mainly work, but also fitting in the fun
summer things plus some Life Admin & Habitat Maintenance
JaneB
SELF-CARE:
* 3x20 intentional movement, 2 x making, 1 x small things with people, reading
every day
* pacing myself (although I wonder if effectively working on four days last
week contributed to the feeling that the "weekend" was a wash/just
recovery time?)
* do a couple of things from the "tasting menu"
HOME AND ENVIRONMENT:
* 75% of chores
* spend half an hour or so researching the living room project
TEACHING AND ADMIN:
* Do at least one block of T prep, one meeting
* an hour on tedious task
* finish integrating bits from the meeting last week into first semester slides
for the first years.
RESEARCH:
* work on modelling project 1-2 hours
* reread and revise Former Visitor Paper
* final (hopefully!) touches on Rejected Paper
Julie
1.
Leave Big Article on downwards slope.
2. Other stuff ditto - make note of what will need picking up when back.
3. Pack, get frantic, try not to lose it with teens who will inevitably
discover this afternoon they need something for the trip that I could have
bought yesterday, print all documents.
4. Enjoy our travels!
heu
mihi
Catching up
Susan (held over)
1.
Finish copy-edits for Big Collaboration
2. Do library stuff to plan research trips for summer
3. Contact a few friends about getting together
4. Pick up needlepoint project
5. Read for pleasure
6. Get back into deliberate exercise beyond walking
Daisy
Work
on dossier, fill in more of section list, add content for teaching
New student chapters
Two fieldwork trips
Review data for new paper to plan new work
Major admin document and associated meetings
Hello! It rained today! For about 5 minutes, whilst I was in the shower, so I missed the immediate impact, but still. Hope! :-D
ReplyDeletePrompts: herby beverage - hmmm. I like elderflower-and-something type drinks, and mint and basil with raspberries or strawberries. A classic citron presse with a sprig of a herb is good too. And of course Homemade Lemonade, which lacks herbs (but is very good with a sprig of mint), but always tastes of summer.
Mental treats: I do love writing the first one page "this is the big idea" document for a new project, grant or paper. Hope springs eternal that one day that document will not need to mutate and warp and be remade many times! And I like creating a new practical/workshop if it's not on a time crunch. There isn't much at work at the moment, though, it's all too freighted with "all the stuff" going on around it.
L:AST WEEK: I was so over work, and I don't entirely know why. so over everything else as well! I am having some allergy symptoms and it might be hormones (the darn change of life is changing up how my hormonal cycle, my mood and my menses actually line up and I keep being caught by surprise by the Ratty Weeks), but I'm also just rather fed up of hot weather and people and the constant demands and juggling so many small things... the coming week is my last working week before a FORTNIGHT OFF and hopefully that will have some effect.
SELF-CARE:
* 3x20 intentional movement, 2 x making, 1 x small things with people, reading every day yes, yes, yes, yes (including an accidental read until the wee hours incident - it's fun when a story starts to ramp up and pull you in with a good chunk of the book left, even if it doesn't completely deliver!)
* pacing myself ish, just didn't really have enough energy/spoons for the things that needed to happen - too little butter scraped over too much bread!
* do a couple of things from the "tasting menu" touched one, added two things
HOME AND ENVIRONMENT:
* 75% of chores yes!
* spend half an hour or so researching the living room project no
TEACHING AND ADMIN:
* Do at least one block of T prep, one meeting yes, yes
* an hour on tedious task two hours, and my part of it is DONE (for now at least)
* finish integrating bits from the meeting last week into first semester slides for the first years no.
RESEARCH:
* work on modelling project 1-2 hours Maybe 45 minutes?
* reread and revise Former Visitor Paper yes. Another meeting about it coming up, sigh
* final (hopefully!) touches on Rejected Paper yes - it's now resubmitted
This was another week when quite a lot got done despite a bad attitude and minimal energy on my part Systems have value, baby steps add up, this group helps!
NEXT WEEK:
DeleteWe're due a couple of days of heatwave temperatures (pushing up from the south - where I live is for NOW on the edge of the heat domes most of the time. Probably need to plan to move north or uphill when I retire, but that depends on other things too. After this week, I have two weeks OFF, my main break and chance to do house stuff etc for the summer. So I want to park things, tie up small things etc. - once I'm back we'll be into the count down to teaching, especially given my administrative role. But something will doubtless come up to derail that hope!
SELF-CARE:
* 3x20 intentional movement, 2 x making, 1 x small things with people, reading every day
* pacing myself (and knowing the following week is "off", if I work part days on the two really hot days and then finish some things up on my non-work Friday that will be fine).
* do a couple of things from the "tasting menu"
HOME AND ENVIRONMENT:
* 75% of chores
* spend half an hour or so researching the living room project
TEACHING AND ADMIN:
* Do at least one block of T prep, one meeting
* finish integrating bits from the meeting last week into first semester slides for the first years.
* mark any resits/long extension tasks that are submitted on time
RESEARCH:
* complete revisions and resubmit the multi-author paper for the second time.
* work on modelling project 2-4 hours (want to get some long runs set up to go in the background whilst I'm off)
* meeting about Former Visitor Paper
* Annoying paper with former PhD student and the very slow collaborators has come back with comments, so go through that and at least list out what needs doing.
* prepare for meeting the Monday I get back from leave
And try and tick off a few of the small items that still need doing but have been getting copied from list to list since late May!
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one holding over items from May. Some, in fact, have fallen off the current lists and it's only by looking at old ones or through old e-mail that makes me realize that those things still need to happen. Also glad to know that you are chugging away making progress by chipping away at things despite rattiness & heat!
DeleteYay for submitting the lingering paper! That is a win for sure!
DeleteSo good to see that systems that support steady work really do make a difference in some of the tougher weeks, you are chipping away at stuff and making all kinds of progress.
So many things from May on my lists... Some of them have solved themselves are are legit gone now, so maybe not the worst approach for the non-urgent things.
That was a lot of YES, especially for a week with few spoons! Take the win!
DeleteAlso, some things are on my list from like January, so I get it.
DeleteTheme, 1, tasty treat: probably lemonade with mint, since flowers tend to have fructose in them, which is very bad for me, but I might try the mint-basil idea--thanks, JaneB! Theme, 2, mental treat: why is it so much easier to think of things that make me go "argh, no, not that one!"? Clearly this is a very necessary exercise! Probably language study, especially Latin, which is my favorite language, so beautifully logical (at least the classical version; medieval Latin can be pretty twisted).
ReplyDeleteLast week was not a good work week. I had a couple of doctor's appointments, one unexpected, and a blood draw that was mildly anomalous--I'm hoping it's just a blip & a recheck will be fine, but since I was already a bit panicky about summer ending with so many things so undone, I did not need anything else to worry about! Also there were some social things that I'm glad to have done (it IS summer, after all!), & small things that don't take long but still take time, like needing to write and deposit a paper check b/c my bank seems to be deliberately screwing up interbank transfers: this may lead me to change banks, but there's another thing that takes time, even if changing would be more efficient down the road. Sigh.
Anyway, let's face the accounting. How I did:
- more revisions to W-essay: IN PROGRESS
- try to finish editing before the press has conniptions: NO, very little done here; will try to do some more today, but I'll apply that to next week.
- 2 hours M-work; try to get conference draft done: 2 hours, not done.
- review grad student's conference draft: YES
- get a massage, cut hair, swim 3 miles ONO, read book for SF/F group: YES, YES, 2 miles (pool schedule changed again & I didn't realize it), YES.
- write letters or e-mail various people, including sending postcards acquired in France: NO
- plan out the rest of the summer, mainly work, but also fitting in the fun summer things plus some Life Admin & Habitat Maintenance: NO (completely in denial, la la la . . . I did look at the calendar & resolved to start going to work in the local community college library so I have some time away from home distractions)
ALSO: dyed hair purple, went to two social gatherings, did about 3 hours of De-fracking Habitat (one outside, two inside--more destruction of cat tunnels/cleaning of books--anxiety is bad for thinky-work but great for mindless cleaning), started some planning for European travel in 2027. And I discovered that although the lavender in the front of the house died (I had to yank it out earlier this summer), that next to the back deck survived & is blooming! So that made me happy, and it goes with this week's picture.
Coming week:
- plan out the rest of the summer, mainly work, but also fitting in the fun summer things plus some Life Admin & Habitat Maintenance
- finish M paper & PowerPoint
- finish W revisions
- finish fracking frelling horrible editing
- swim 2-3 miles, cardio 2-3 times (maybe a bike ride?)
- see friends visiting from out of town
- write letters or e-mail various people, including sending postcards acquired in France; also send present to youngest great-nephew & organize present for great-niece
- don't panic! Divide and Conquer!
That was a tough week! Hope this one is better and the writing goes well and the Latin is logical.
DeleteSpecial good luck on the horrible editing! Hope that goes away soon and you get to do some nice summer things this week!
Fun things are crucial--it's good you're keeping them on the radar!
DeleteThe summer version of the Sunday Scaries is no fun! It's started creeping up on me - and you're weeks closer to being back. Also I do not understand why small things that don't objectively take very long are so disruptive - well, I DO, but I think it should not be so and it is not reasonable that it is so! And ugh for the editing - but you still got things done and did important fun stuff which is very much TLQ in times like these!
DeleteAlso purple hair has to be a good thing!
DeleteI am enjoying people's reactions to the hair! I probably won't keep it up for more than a couple of months, as a lot of colour comes out when I wash it after swimming and I would rather swim than have purple hair (also once classes start I doubt I will be willing to take the time to touch it up), but I do think it will be fun to start school like this!
DeleteSpruce tips or balsam fir tips in early spring make surprisingly good tea. I also love adding fresh mint to various drinks, easy to do and so effective. One of our local places makes a lovely strawberry basil cider, for winter they had a juniper one that was great.
ReplyDeleteFor work treats I love that first pass through a new data sheet when you see the results take shape. I also really like my area’s particular sample prep process, it is the fiddliest, most delicate part of the analytical process and has the most influence on the results, and is the least glamourous. Most other people really dislike doing it and are generally quite bad at it or do not do it at all, I find it very zen and relaxing.
Week was busy with field stuff, I was only home for one day of meetings and admin stuff. Weather was wonderful for most of it, torrential downpours for one but we could still finish what we needed to do (it was a warm rain…). I am coming back from one trip today, then have two days to sort out the next set of trips. I am struggling with this part of the summer, it feels rushed, and there are a million things going on and I really just want to sit in a nice library and work on the things I need to do for papers… Maybe after next week? Who knows… Keeping goals minimal this week to catch up on last week!
Last weeks goals
Work on dossier, fill in more of section list, add content for teaching NOPE
New student chapters NOPE
Two fieldwork trips DONE
Review data for new paper to plan new work DONE
Major admin document and associated meetings DONE
This week’s goals
Work on dossier and make actual progress
New student chapters
Organize next field work trips, one this week, one next week
Breathe...
Maybe this part of summer feels rushed because it is rushed? You're barely at home, are getting all your field work done in these months while also being department chair, hosting this group, and who knows what all else! It's great to find time to relax and slow down, but maybe also trust your own perceptions of what's happening. You can't be in the library and on a field trip at the same time!
DeleteExcellent advice and insights from DEH! Nothing to add, but I'm glad that the trip was successful!
DeleteWise words, thank you! That actually makes me feel a lot better and adds a helpful perspective...
DeleteSometimes a reminder from external observers are just what is needed, even though it should be obvious enough without that!
Summer always feels like it SHOULD have oodles of empty space, but even without a field season this year for me and with a lesser admin role (currently job-sharing Director of Education for the wider School) my summer has felt hectic and pressured and not-summery, I don't know how you are coping but it's pretty admirable!
DeleteI'm not crazy about herby drinks, but my husband did make some fun cocktails for my book release party (based on two of the four humors, amusingly enough--yellow bile [choleric] and black bile [melancholic]). But gin and tonics are the ultimate summer cocktail for me, simple as they are; I love drinking them in the backyard at my mom's place!
ReplyDeleteLast week: I guess I got caught up?
This week: We're traveling again, just Wednesday-Friday this time, to visit some of my mom's cousins in NYC. It will be fun but a big part of me would really like to just stay home!
Goals are a bit squishy because we also have a lot of house stuff going on: We're trying to stain as much as possible of the new deck stairs while our construction people are off doing other jobs (waiting for an email from the building inspector), and then last night we got a clog in a pipe and water kept filling up our laundry room! That was fixed today, but it was still rather distressing and made me feel like the house really needed a cleaning--so I spent part of the afternoon vacuuming etc., as well as staining.
I also met with my dean today about starting as chair this fall, and I'm feeling kind of down about it. It's been so nice NOT worrying about budget cuts, etc etc., and I am not at all keen to re-enter that world. Oh well. She had some nice, encouraging things to say, though.
So! Goals for this week, let's keep them modest:
1. Finish reading materials for promotion letter; draft letter (can do a lot of this on the train)
2. Write at least three days, no pressure re. how much
3. Help son with his bedroom
4. Exercise three times, in addition to city trekking
5. Enjoy New York!
Oh house troubles are so frustrating! Hope all goes smoothly after pipe fix.
DeleteNice to know the Dean has encouraging words, the responsibility is huge so it is good to know you have support from the next level of admin.
Have a wonderful time in NYC!
That sounds like a tough week. I really don't envy anyone stepping into administration in the current climate - it's good to hear you have support from above at least. Be kind to yourself and enjoy some summer time!
DeleteMy current half-role came about because the previous holder was being worn down by the paperwork, and I said that I felt I couldn't offer to take over because I don't mind the paperwork but I can't handle some of the personalities we currently have in the School and our listless management which means there are no sticks or carrots to keep them in line - they asked if I'd consider a job share where I did the paperwork that they were drowning in and they did the "people stuff" and we got that approved. We have a shared document which divides up tasks like "checking that all assessment instructions on ViLE match official module catalogue (once per semester) - JaneB does checking, sends email reminders where errors are found, resolves errors and tracks/completes formal paperwork for changes for future years. Other person - takes over in any case where a colleague refuses to reply to the request for error changes or replies aggressively/with a refusal. Student misconduct issues - JaneB completes forms and liaises with Faculty committee, other person meets student and staff member and attends the formal investigation meeting. Because I am not up to handling the people stuff right now!
That actually sounds brilliant! I have always felt similarly about leadership roles--don't mind the paperwork (at least in theory) b/c it's either simple checks or a sort of puzzle to work out (scheduling classes), but dealing with Other People is just a big No--students & all my committee work are all I can cope with.
Delete