the grid

the grid

Monday 14 August 2023

Session 2, week 14: the end!

Hello everyone!

This session has flown by, and it's now final check-in. For those in the US, next academic year is ramping up. For those of us in the UK, there is still time before teaching starts, but it is looming.

For a final prompt, let's reflect on the session, but be kind to ourselves. Life throws curveballs at us, goals are just that: goals. Something to aim for, but no shame if we don't get there, or if we decided on the way that actually other goals were preferable. We all have far too much to manage: we wouldn't be here if we didn't. So kindness above all, and let's make sure to reward ourselves for what we have accomplished. Thanks to JaneB for co-hosting and to everyone for checking in and sharing ideas and tips. See everyone in September!

Last week

Dame Eleanor

 continue Latin translation
- finish additions to Alms chapter
- finish planning grad reading schedule
- start planning undergrad classes
- do some Blackboard building
- visit at least one more gym; join one
- buy bookshelves
- do something with old friend who is due in town midweek
- read book for book group

Julie

1. Order scans
2. Read a book for review
3. Look through some primary sources to find examples for article.
4. Book accommodation for research trip.
5. Submit purchase requests to library
6. Make appointments (hairdresser, optician's)
7. More kitchen project
8. Nephew's birthday present.

Susan

1. Get home and re-settled
2. Draft syllabi, put welcome page up on course website etc.
3. Plan events for incoming grad students
4. For Famous Author, order needed books on Interlibrary Loan. (I love ILL. Just saying...)
5. Read what I've done so far, make sure style is consistent
6. Read article that is long overdue for journal.
7. See friends, do something nice

Daisy

On vacation!

JaneB

** Self-care: Do at least seven small things to improve my environment. Do at least an hour in total on sorting out my financial paperwork chaos. Move intentionally 5-10 minutes a day. Sort out Uncle's birthday mailing.
** Work. Check work email no more than once a workday outside of work day. Approve meeting minutes from last academic year. Check in about the move. Start last required training course. Send email to schedule meeting about conference next year.
**** Work - teaching - feed back to all MSc students on the text they've sent. Check timetable, and pencil in my diary (since my classes are different every week). Review August timetable and aim to assign one day per first semester module for prep work (five modules if I group the second and third year skills ones where I teach basically the same content with different case studies for different cohorts of students - all are team taught to some degree). Mark late resits.
**** work - research: go through draft supplementary information for Very Overdue Paper. Work on the draft for consultancy paper.
Make thing for Oddball Paper & send off.
** Fun. Play D&D AND do some D&D planning. Finish one fiction book, continue one non-fiction. Crochet some rows on the grounded blanket. Draw something. Add to summer wish list for non- work days. watch a movie.

Heu mihi

1. Finish content of proceedings essay (citation formatting to come later)
2. Start freezing tomato products (12 tartlets and at least one big batch of sauce)--we picked up about 100 pounds of tomatoes down in Pennsylvania
3. Finish formatting and print anniversary book pages
4. Move offices (Friday)

Session goals

Daisy

Submit 2 papers based on conference talks from this week
Do analysis and write my part of joint local paper
Field work with 2 students
Garden project TBD
Vacation and regular fun with kid

Dame Eleanor

- Expand an article into a chapter
- Cut down a chapter section into a conference paper
- Make progress on another chapter OR preliminary work towards spring sabbatical project
- Work with library colleague on new project*
- Prep fall classes
- Do some sewing/alteration projects
- Get some house/garden tasks done
- Unpack the boxes in the garage
- House re-organization as necessary to accommodate box contents . . .
- Sleep enough, exercise appropriately (consider joining a gym), enjoy the warm weather.

Susan

Academic:
1. I am co-editor for a massive collaborative project. We've still got some first drafts to receive from the 31 commissioned; we have to write an introduction; and the whole thing needs to be submitted next March. So the goal for this session is to finish first drafts & draft introduction.

2. Famous author: I have finished the draft of a very short book on a very famous author, and have comments on it. If the world smiles on me, I want to look at the comments and do revisions. In a perfect world I'd send it to publishers later this summer.

3. Book prize. I am on the committee for a major book prize, and that requires reading about 20 books in the first round and then another 15 or so in the second round. First round readings need to be done by the end of June...

Goals: Admin
Be ready for the start of the fall semester.

Goals: life
1. Be present with my mother as much as possible
2. Do nice things for myself

Heu mihi

1. Chapter 2 (draft by end of May/early June)
2. Chapter 4 (if not draft, plan and get ready for fall writing). Accept that actually drafting chapter 4, whose contents I haven't exactly figured out yet, may be an unreasonable expectation and result in the production of total garbage.
3. Plan fall course, which is entirely new
4. Proceedings essay--this should be easy, since I'm not planning to make many changes to the conference paper that it's growing out of
5. Promotion review--should also be relatively easy, since I've already read (and reviewed) the book of the person I'm evaluating
6. Make pages for silly handmade book project--more about this below
7. Intentionally take two weeks entirely off???? --We'll see.

JaneB

1) self-care: the usual. Building & maintaining good habits, improving my environment, my ongoing wrestling with the healthcare system for diagnoses.
1a) getting back on top of my personal finances (I am embarrassed to admit that I know I pay into a savings thingie every month but I can't remember who with, never mind any of the details about the type of thingie. Which is of course why I have direct debits set up in the first place because I am scatty, but... cringe).
2) Researcher; things which need to happen
2a) poor abandoned multi-author paper
2b) paper with senior grad student
2c) wish-we-never-started-project (ends this summer)
2d) paper using consultancy work (led by the people we did the work for which is nice)
2e) submit a grant application (for my KPIs - fortunately I'm a partner on several, so one might get submitted this summer)
and I also want to take some time to read and think about who I am as a researcher and who I want to be for the next decade or so.
3) Teaching:
3a) summer teaching duties
i) supervising two PhD students
ii) preparing for an MSc by Research student who will start in the Autumn (in an area related to what I do, but I need to do some reading around!)
iii) supervising an unknown (small) number of taught MSc student projects on unknown topics (usually these are assigned in March - this year it will be "sometime soon" and there are a LOT of students and a three line whip about everyone taking some on. Sigh! Makes taking proper breaks extra difficult).
3b) preparing for next year.
i) establish what I will actually be teaching
ii) putting together a "skills resource" for higher level students which makes it easier for them to find handouts etc. from their first year courses when they learnt specific skills or topics
iii) getting on top of what my 'new' administrative role ACTUALLY needs from me - I've been almost 100% reactive this year.
4) fun. I know fun is self-care, but it's also just FUN. So every week I want to do at least one thing I can point at and say that was FUN, working up to something every day on any day I have off. Some things that count as fun:
4a) book and TAKE leave
4b) crochet - finish "Lithrops blanket", make an anigurumi, start a new simple blanket project
4c) read things (whilst social media etc. are very good escapism/mild disassociation, reading can do the same thing but in a quieter mode).
4d) do things with words (fiction, poetry, journalling, blogging - non-work things with words always used to be my happy place, so maybe spending time there will bring that back...
4e) dungeons and dragons (playing with Nibling and their friends, and I'd like to try out some different ways of playing with different people & maybe get involved in another long-running game but that depends a lot on how well I am doing mentally/socially - I might not have the energy - in which case I can replace that with reading about D&D and preparing extra materials which will make it quicker to play in term time (basically potter around in my elaborate fantasy city and world settings)).

Julie

Research
1. Grant application. The main aim is to get to archives, do background reading and be in a position to apply for funding that would enable the big project I want to do. So honing research questions, and thinking about project design.
2. Writing. Not sure what form this will take, but want to keep some form going alongside the other stuff, because I will feel happy if I do. So adding bits to articles, crafting the grant application (though that's a harder form of writing).

Teaching
1. Ongoing PhD students: give them the time they are entitled to, which is not always the same as what they want/need. I have three currently
(a) Dream student - works hard, great project, has just gone part-time so deadline has been extended, absolute joy.
(b) Bright but needy student - works hard, ok project, tends to ask for more meetings that current amount of written work and stage really need, and my co-supervisor tends to say yes, grrr.
(c) Pain in the neck student - should be finishing in the next few months, is very slow with writing the actual thesis instead of trying for journal articles that are mostly mud-slinging at big names. Does have good project, but never listens to my feedback. Suspect he will become a problem and need to avoid having my time sucked away.
2. New module for next year - am going to try to postpone this to the next session so it doesn't distract. Future me may curse present me, but I think this is one ball I may as well place gently on the ground.

House
I have some large projects (new kitchen, bathrooms) and lots of medium projects i.e. things that aren't huge in terms of money or time but still require me to find someone to do a job/buy some equipment/give up a weekend. There are far too many for one session so:
1. Medium/largeish garden projects, since it's summer (or find new gardener - old one only mowed the lawn and I can get kid to do that for much less money)
2. Sort finances
3. One or two medium other projects e.g. framing pictures for my study.
4. Start one big project (emphasis on 'start' and 'one').

Life/self care
1. Holiday already booked in a couple of weeks! Next year Kid 1 has important exams, so travel will need to be reduced.
2. Read good books
3. Try to establish better sleep habits.
4. Start HRT and see if it works
5. Try to reduce the high cholesterol I have recently been told I have 😢 - so exercise, diet.

6. Find dentist.
7. Overall, try for more balance, being more present with the kids and less stressed. Emphasis on try.


34 comments:

  1. How I did:

    To start with last week:
    1. Order scans - YES
    2. Read a book for review - STARTED
    3. Look through some primary sources to find examples for article.- YES
    4. Book accommodation for research trip.- NO
    5. Submit purchase requests to library - YES
    6. Make appointments (hairdresser, optician's) - YES, NO
    7. More kitchen project- YES
    8. Nephew's birthday present. - YES

    Session goals: I haven't felt very productive this last couple of weeks, so it's been nice to look back and see that I have done stuff. It helped not to be teaching and marking (or boycotting marking), as that meant there was less stuff in the TRQ than usual. On the research, which is what I usually have as TLQ, I have done less grant application writing than I hoped (where's that elf?) but more other writing, adding to and reshaping an article, making notes on ideas etc. So it balances out, I think. One archive trip has happened, another will happen next month. Background reading went off at tangents, but tangents that turned out to be very useful so, again, good.

    Otherwise, a lot of 'yes' - have started the ball rolling on a new kitchen, found someone to keep the garden under control, and have done a couple of medium-sized house projects. On good days, that's a useful reminder that stuff will get done, just slowly. On self-care, HRT is making a difference, cholesterol is down again (think it may just have been a blip anyway), holiday time was amazing and think I've been as present with the kids as tiredness and juggling allow. Sleep still needs a lot of work, haven't found a dentist, so those carry over to next session!

    This has turned out to be good timing: I'm away next week on holiday, but realised this morning I had much more annual leave left than I realised. So I've booked two days off this week and the week after our holiday as well. It feels liberating to be honest that school holidays is not a productive time, and that house projects need some dedicated time rather than being squeezed into evenings and weekends. I'm hoping that part of parking on a downhill slope is clearing away debris from previous sessions that might block the road, and refilling the petrol/gas tank (or recharging the batteries for anyone who has made the switch to an electric car).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of yes from last week, and also excellent progress on session goals. I'm glad to hear that you have more leave time booked---and also appreciate the acknowledgement that things like house projects take time and brain and energy! I often wonder how people with jobs less flexible than mine get anything done.

      I think clearing away road debris is a very important task! One thing metaphors are good for is showing us the analogies with other areas of life or other jobs. You and your car can be in great shape, but if the road is blocked, you're not going anywhere. The petrol/electric vehicle note also has me thinking. I have a hybrid, but my brothers own electric cars, and when they come into the garage, they automatically plug the car in---whereas I don't think anyone ever fills the gas tank when it's only a tenth of the way down. Maybe we need to treat ourselves like electric vehicles, rather than not worrying about the petrol/gas till the tank is at least half empty!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for co-hosting - it's been fun! And an excellent reminder of the importance of kindness... Congratulations on getting the kitchen and house goals rolling, they're hard to handle - it's so easy to put work goals ahead of everything else.

      I'm an electric car with a dodgy battery - like my elderly mobile, one glance and I've got 50-60% charge left then a couple of songs later I'm flashing low power mode and keep shutting off... but I don't know what the human equivalent of carrying an external power bar around would be!! :-)

      I hope your next archive visit rounds off the summer perfectly!

      Delete
    3. Oh the car vision made me laugh... I drive my cars until they are literally running on fumes and every warning light is blinking furiously, always have... and I do pretty much the same for the rest of me! I might write "fill up tank" on a post-it and stick it on my computer as a visual reminder not to do that...

      Delete
    4. So glad you had amazing holidays and good kid time! Very important!!

      Delete
    5. I'm with Daisy - I leave things to the last minute on petrol and it's probably a good analogy for the rest of my life. Putting petrol in the car, and even more so air in the tires, is something that really stresses me out. I had this fear for ages that I would put the wrong petrol in (I don't know how it is in the US, but in the UK, petrol stations sell unleaded petrol and diesel, and it apparently wrecks your engine to put the wrong one in). Then a friend told me you can't fill up on the wrong one because the fuel nozzles are different shapes. If only someone had told me that years ago! But I'm still convinced I will deflate all my tires while trying to put air in, so I put it off as long as possible.

      Delete
    6. I'm the opposite - as soon as the gauge gets close to half empty I have to fill up again, and if I'm on a long trip I have to fight the urge to stop into just about every garage I pass and top up - my mum was a "leave it until the car is running on fumes" person and I had SO much anxiety about the possibility of running out of petrol as a kid... once I started driving whenever I used the shared car my first stop was the garage to put in whatever fuel I could afford! So now I CAN keep the tank full I DO.

      Now, why can't I do that for me? Saying no, putting my needs on a par with work needs - VERY VERY HARD!

      Also Julie I painted the word petrol around the fuel cap of my first car to decrease the chances of putting the wrong thing in it... a very common fear, I think it's the sort of thing adults like to tell nervous drivers about!

      Delete
  2. Thanks to our hosts for a great session!

    As soon as I cut out dairy altogether, I started sleeping better, the brain fog lifted, I felt motivated and energetic. All good things, but damn, I was really hoping I could eat yogurt again. Oh well. I still had a couple of bad nights, but overall, last week was vastly better than any other this summer.

    How I did---last week:
    - continue Latin translation: YES, steady progress
    - finish additions to Alms chapter: NO, but made progress
    - finish planning grad reading schedule: NO, but again, some progress
    - start planning undergrad classes: NO (no progress)
    - do some Blackboard building: NO
    - visit at least one more gym; join one: NO, will carry over at least into whatever break we have between sessions
    - buy bookshelves: YES. AND put them together AND unpacked nine or so boxes! Mostly books. I recycled most of a box of papers---handouts from seminars, notes from research libraries, and so on---that I could have recycled ten years ago (at least), but I guess I wasn't ready to let go until now.
    - do something with old friend who is due in town midweek: NO, cancelled b/c his planning was so last-minute and, as my husband said, "*We*'re not on vacation, we have things to do."
    - read book for book group: YES (did not enjoy it, will not go on with that series).
    ALSO b/c of book, got in touch with friend in Canada and may be able to join her for some time in a really great city next year!
    ALSO did some gardening. Not so good on other exercise b/c I dropped a couple of heavy IKEA shelves on my foot!

    Session goals:
    - Expand an article into a chapter: IN PROGRESS
    - Cut down a chapter section into a conference paper: YES
    - Make progress on another chapter OR preliminary work towards spring sabbatical project: NO
    - Work with library colleague on new project: YES
    - Prep fall classes: IN PROGRESS
    - Do some sewing/alteration projects: SOME (very little, but started a couple)
    - Get some house/garden tasks done: YES
    - Unpack the boxes in the garage: IN PROGRESS
    - House re-organization as necessary to accommodate box contents . . . IN PROGRESS
    - Sleep enough, exercise appropriately (consider joining a gym), enjoy the warm weather. NO, USUALLY, YES

    The last few months had some difficult moments, especially nearer the beginning of the session. Overall the trajectory is upwards, and this group has been a stabilizing and comforting routine in my life. Thanks to all of you for being here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, your poor foot! I hope it's healing fast! That looks like a pretty good session in terms of goals, given all the challenges you were dealing with - but sad news about the yoghurt, it's such a handy food (and relatively easy to get when out and about in nice safe sealed containers...)

      Delete
    2. That was exactly why I wanted it---it would have made travel so much easier! But Oh My CAT it is wonderful to be able to think clearly and actually *feel* like doing things!

      Delete
    3. Yay for upward trajectory! Glad you are feeling more yourself and things are looking up.

      Delete
    4. Really glad about the upward trajectory, but I would miss yogurt - poor you! But at least you know now what works.

      Delete
    5. Dodged a bullet w/r/t cancelled meeting with old friend! He was traveling with a grown son who came down with Covid, my friend now has it, and I am glad not to have been exposed.

      Delete
    6. Sounds like a win on missing the meet up - especially now the fog is clearing you really deserve to get to enjoy it and not immediately be dealing with something else!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Julie and thank you everyone for the pleasure of your company along the road, as always much appreciated!

    I started the ADHD meds this past week and, well, I didn't sleep AT ALL last night and had to get up/work with the declutterer today so i am TIRED but my brain squirrels are busy doing the conga right now. And between more Union nonsense and the usual "aargh there is no time left I have so much to DO" along with a generally discombobulated system, I'm probably going to ramble and grumble and not really notice it!

    LAST WEEK'S GOALS:
    ** Self-care: Do at least seven small things to improve my environment. Do at least an hour in total on sorting out my financial paperwork chaos. Move intentionally 5-10 minutes a day. Sort out Uncle's birthday mailing. yes,half, two days, yes
    ** Work. Check work email no more than once a workday outside of work day. Approve meeting minutes from last academic year. Check in about the move. Start last required training course. Send email to schedule meeting about conference next year. no, no, no response, no, yes
    **** Work - teaching - feed back to all MSc students on the text they've sent. Check timetable, and pencil in my diary (since my classes are different every week). Review August timetable and aim to assign one day per first semester module for prep work (five modules if I group the second and third year skills ones where I teach basically the same content with different case studies for different cohorts of students - all are team taught to some degree). Mark late resits. yes, yes about three hours before the email saying changes were happening, yes but doubtful it will get done due to my days filling up with meetings, resit markings and all sorts of other nonsense, yes but some more turned up under a rock - actually in someone else's module but they can't mark the topic and it was taught by a fixed term person who has moved on so please can I do it
    **** work - research: go through draft supplementary information for Very Overdue Paper. Work on the draft for consultancy paper.
    Make thing for Oddball Paper & send off. yes but now have more tasks, no, yes
    ** Fun. Play D&D AND do some D&D planning. Finish one fiction book, continue one non-fiction. Crochet some rows on the grounded blanket. Draw something. Add to summer wish list for non- work days. watch a movie. yes, yes, yes, yes and finished it this am, yes, yes, no, no

    SESSION GOALS:
    1) self-care. a bare pass for this category, I think
    Building & maintaining good habits, improving my environment, my ongoing wrestling with the healthcare system for diagnoses. habits not much better, but no worse. Environment better. Healthcare system - mixed! they may have lost one of my referrals somewhere... but I am engaging with it with less ostriching
    1a) getting back on top of my personal finances made some progress here, it feels like I can see all the little tasks laid out now instead of it being one giant tangled yarn ball with no ends to pull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2) Researcher; things which need to happen but as ever didn't really happen! again, a bare pass overall
      2a) poor abandoned multi-author paper is making progress, and delays are not due to me, which is probably all I can ask for...
      2b) paper with senior grad student nothing happened
      2c) wish-we-never-started-project (ends this summer) final reporting all completed with some last-minute scrambling and more than 50% of the original material delivered, no-one has yelled at me yet, the project team are all still on speaking terms...
      2d) paper using consultancy work (led by the people we did the work for which is nice) has made a small amount of progress. The original goals were ambitious... but there is still some summer left
      2e) submit a grant application (for my KPIs - fortunately I'm a partner on several, so one might get submitted this summer)
      and I also want to take some time to read and think about who I am as a researcher and who I want to be for the next decade or so. no and no.
      But we did get the review article I was working on in the first session revised, resubmitted, accepted and in press with a good journal, and the other paper I worked on in June has been submitted and rejected and is being revised for another submission. So not nothing
      3) Teaching:
      3a) summer teaching duties ugh. Have slogged along with these
      i) supervising two PhD students yup. Continue to do so. Continues to take more time than I really have. One of them is fostering kittens this summer so our weekly check in involves an update with pictures on different kitten families, so that has been a bright spot!
      ii) preparing for an MSc by Research student who will start in the Autumn (in an area related to what I do, but I need to do some reading around!) paperwork done, reading around not done
      iii) supervising an unknown (small) number of taught MSc student projects on unknown topics I have three, it's a pain in the butt
      3b) preparing for next year.not enough, not enough, not enough
      i) establish what I will actually be teaching not really - I hope to not have to teach all the things on my current list!
      ii) putting together a "skills resource" for higher level students not yet
      iii) getting on top of what my 'new' administrative role ACTUALLY needs from me - I've been almost 100% reactive this year. no
      4) fun. I have done better at this this summer, at least; every week I've done something from at least two of the fun categories (D&D, reading, drawing/painting, crochet/yarn crafts, watching media(
      4a) book and TAKE leave mostly
      4b) crochet - finish "Lithrops blanket", make an anigurumi, start a new simple blanket project yes, yes a very basic one and yes - known as "Grounded"
      4c) read things yes - for the moment, my reading mojo is back (and costing me money...).
      4d) do things with words (fiction, poetry, journalling, blogging - non-work things with words always used to be my happy place, so maybe spending time there will bring that back... not enough
      4e) dungeons and dragons yes, playing with nibling & friends, doing some planning, and I've just been invited by an old acquaintance to join an online game this Autumn as a player, yay!

      So not a GOOD summer, but not a total write off like last year felt like...

      Delete
    2. You made some huge strides this session! Starting meds is huge, getting living space and finances in better shape is huge, surviving all the UK academic craziness this summer is huge, all those things add up. And yay for kittens at check-ins and reading mojo!

      Delete
    3. I agree with Daisy - you've done a lot, in very challenging circumstances. Reading mojo really makes a difference.

      Delete
    4. Thank you all. I was naively hoping for a magic miracle pill response but natch that hasn't happened - undersirable side effects popped up day one, so hoping it will start calming down the brain squirrels soon!

      Delete
    5. I'm so glad that you were able to have some FUN this summer, too!

      Delete
  4. Oh, my, the end of session. Always comes too fast, but so too does the fall semester.

    How I did last week:
    1. Get home and re-settled MOSTLY
    2. Draft syllabi, put welcome page up on course website etc. ONE DOWN, ONE TO GO
    3. Plan events for incoming grad students YES
    4. For Famous Author, order needed books on Interlibrary Loan. (I love ILL. Just saying...) NO
    5. Read what I've done so far, make sure style is consistent NO
    6. Read article that is long overdue for journal. TIMED OUT
    7. See friends, do something nice YES

    I'm behind where I hoped to be, but think I did pretty well. I didn't plan on a whole day going through mail and dealing with stuff! But the email volume started going up last week, and this week the meetings take off, so...

    Session goals:
    Academic:
    1. I am co-editor for a massive collaborative project. We've still got some first drafts to receive from the 31 commissioned; we have to write an introduction; and the whole thing needs to be submitted next March. So the goal for this session is to finish first drafts & draft introduction. NO, BUT ALMOST (Still waiting on a few first drafts!); WE STARTED THE INTRO, BUT STALLED AND HAVE A NEW FRAMEWORK>

    2. Famous author: I have finished the draft of a very short book on a very famous author, and have comments on it. If the world smiles on me, I want to look at the comments and do revisions. In a perfect world I'd send it to publishers later this summer. MOSTLY, but not quite ready to send out

    3. Book prize. I am on the committee for a major book prize, and that requires reading about 20 books in the first round and then another 15 or so in the second round. First round readings need to be done by the end of June... ON MY WAY ON SECOND ROUND

    Goals: Admin
    Be ready for the start of the fall semester. YES

    Goals: life
    1. Be present with my mother as much as possible I THINK I WAS
    2. Do nice things for myself YES

    Obviously the unplanned part of the session was my mother's death. That threw me off balance far more than I expected. So I didn't accomplish as much as I'd hoped, but I think I did pretty well. I still have administrative stuff to manage -- I see the lawyer about probate tomorrow-but it feels manageable.

    Otherwise, I think the two book projects are in decent shape, more or less where I wanted them, if a little behind. I am grateful that the two classes I am teaching this fall are both repeats where I can basically import everything from last year.

    Thank you to Julie and JaneB for hosting, and for everyone for being there. It's been good to have this group as part of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, this semester promises to be intense, but I could potentially host. Or in the winter session, which would be easier.

      Delete
    2. You had a rough session, but still managed to do a whole lot of stuff! Including travel and fun and being good to yourself... And this is a bit late, but at some point we all want to hear about your Camino experience!

      Delete
    3. Definitely want to hear about the Camino! And it sounds like a good session with a spread of achievements!

      Delete
    4. I think you did a lot considering what a big blow you had. And another vote here for hearing about the Camino.

      Delete
    5. Seconding all of the above!

      Delete
  5. Thank you JaneB and Julie for being lovely hosts! Much appreciated!

    That was an interesting summer (and I still have 2 weeks before teaching so it is not completely over!).
    It had: great travel (Spain field stuff, separate conference), lots of field work (4 different places, lots of different projects), lots of lab work (mostly set-up and troubleshooting, and but some exciting analytical stuff), decent amount of reading and ice cream, lots of student support and some drama. I am very happy with the lab stuff I got sorted out, all of that takes forever and cannot be done in the term time. I have new sample protocols, a decent workspace, and lots of prep done for the term’s analytical work (will be more by next week).
    It did not have: any actual rest, enough vacation, enough friend time, enough dedicated kid time, or beach time (partly because of horrendous weather), or writing time.

    Session goals:
    • Submit 2 papers based on conference talks from this week NOWHERE CLOSE… But I did do some ok work on them, and I don’t feel totally overwhelmed by them. I suspect as soon as I think a bit harder I will be overwhelmed but I will enjoy the ignorance for now.
    • Do analysis and write my part of joint local paper SAME AS ABOVE but working on it today actually… Maybe this week? Who knows…
    • Field work with 2 students DONE and turned out there were 4 students and multiple places and it was good but stressful and difficult and sleeping in my car preserved my sanity for the last bit. I cancelled one trip for me, sent students on their own and I am very glad I did that.
    • Garden project TBD NOPE I am trying to grow lupins from seed and I am up to 4 tiny plants… Not great considering the vast numbers of seeds I started with…
    • Vacation and regular fun with kid TRIP DONE and was fun but the weather was horrendous so we did lots of indoor stuff instead of the beaches we love. PSA go see the B*rbie movie, it hit HAAAARRRD! I did not do great with regular fun, but I don’t feel too bad because there were several excellent camp weeks and still one to come.

    What did I learn? I learned not to overload the summer with field stuff. The days when I did 2 month-stretches away are long gone and for the next few years while kid is still home it is just not practical. I think a 1:3 ratio would be better than the 1:1 I did this year… Will allow more writing time and more time for actual vacation too! Anyone around next August when I moan about making the exact same types of insane plans please feel free to point me towards this post and laugh at me!
    For the Fall? I’m going to have to be disciplined about writing time, otherwise new admin and teaching and students will take over completely (and also I’d like a unicorn to go with that…). I am looking forward to the routines and getting really settled into teaching for the second year here. I have lots of ideas, cool things I want to try, and improvements from last year’s classes that I want to implement. Fortunately I’ve made my rookie mistakes elsewhere, and instead of trying everything at once I am picking only a few things for each course and concentrating on those. Anyway, I will try to goof off a little for the next two weeks at least on the nice days, and if all I get is beer on my lovely deck I will enjoy that with a smile!
    Best of luck for the last few weeks of summer, until we meet again! DEH and I will put up an invite post for starting the new session around mid-September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send you a unicorn! Your list of things your summer did have sounded great, until I got to the list of things it didn't---I'd find it hard to decide if I were thrilled or dismayed, between those lists! I guess focus on the positive, and take the lacks as things to work on for the future, especially as encouragement to follow your plan to goof off in the next couple of weeks. Beverages on the deck sound lovely! Let's e-mail about plans for the coming session.

      Delete
    2. There is just SO MUCH TO DO in all directions isn't there? Sounds like you've laid down some great foundations for a productive year ahead... and really enforce that time off!

      Delete
  6. This summer was a blur. Two factors likely contributed: First, the weather, which was actually pretty great here for June and August but hasn't spent much time being hot and just *summery.* (No complaints, though.) But the bigger factor was the fact that I wasn't on a regular academic calendar last year, so summer hasn't felt quite as distinct as usual. (Again, no complaints, although it's felt a little strange.)

    Looking at my session goals, I was a little surprised at just how gentle with myself I was, actually. I seem to have been reasonably realistic! Which is good, because lately I feel *very* behind.

    Last week:
    1. Finish content of proceedings essay - I have like two loose ends I just don't want to deal with, even though they won't be hard.... The fact that it's not due until November doesn't motivate me, either.

    2. Start freezing tomato products - I went TOTALLY OVERBOARD, but the tomatoes were starting to attract flies, so I had to. Finished with the 100 pounds of tomatoes today. My husband made some salsa and gazpacho, but I made:
    9 quarts of puttanesca sauce
    24 tomato-and-rosemary tartlets
    5 quarts of tomato soup
    8.5 quarts of pizza sauce
    And this is while I wasn't feeling well (some weird little virus), so I was supposed to be "resting" and "not overdoing it," something I'm clearly incapable of.

    3. Finish formatting and print anniversary book pages - Yes, but the book will be late, oh well.

    4. Move offices (Friday) - Yes (not much choice on this one!)

    Session goals:
    1. Chapter 2 (draft by end of May/early June)
    YES
    2. Chapter 4 (if not draft, plan and get ready for fall writing). Accept that actually drafting chapter 4, whose contents I haven't exactly figured out yet, may be an unreasonable expectation and result in the production of total garbage.
    YES--It's about 13.5k words, mostly a mess, some of it garbage, but something happened.
    3. Plan fall course, which is entirely new
    MOSTLY. Priority for the next few weeks.
    4. Proceedings essay - SEE ABOVE
    5. Promotion review - YES
    6. Make pages for silly handmade book project - YES
    7. Intentionally take two weeks entirely off????
    NO, but I didn't do any work for the week we were at the beach, and have definitely had more than another week's worth of days off, so sort of?

    This fall will be busy (hence the tomato over-stocking). I also have a lot of projects in the hopper, even though the dream of my life right now is to take an entire SUMMER entirely off. Soon, I promise myself. Right after I do all those other things.... I really need to form that long-dreamt-of Committee of No with my friends R & A, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am *so* impressed by all the tomato processing! That's a lot of puttanesca sauce, never mind everything else. And want the recipe for the tartlets, because the tomatoes at the Farmer's Market are awesome right now.

      Delete
    2. Very jealous of the tomatoes. Future you will be very grateful to last week you.

      Delete
    3. Wow, as the child of enthusiastic food-growers, I am in awe of all the processing - we never had enough tomatoes to make a huge amount of sauces etc. (my Dad would eat multiple tomatoes raw at every meal all summer, and as snacks, which didn't help!) but my Mum canned a wide variety of produce and made masses of jam - even in her late 80s she still makes an entire cupboard full of different preserves (since they retired & the children had left home she sells most of them, currently through the deli in the nearest small town which likes to have a selection of very local products to sell to visitors (it's a coastal town so has some tourism all year round). Having some bottled summer available all autumn and winter is a great blessing

      Delete
  7. Just to confirm - Daisy and DEH will co-host the next session (September-Christmas), and Susan has tentatively offered for the one after that (early 2024) - thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete