Lots of extreme cold everywhere this weekend, I hope it is not causing too much havoc on roads and power grids and water mains!
I’m at a regional conference this weekend and it is wonderful being back at this one in person after two online editions. Catching up with people has been wonderful if somewhat exhausting, and I’m enjoying a much-needed break in my room before braving the poster area and talking to a hundred people. One of the fun things about small conferences is overhearing conversations and hearing things unexpectedly, and I had some really nice surprises in a few talks where presenters thanked me for things I did that I never really thought much about… Things like students mentioning me helping with interpretations, a couple of other presenters mentioned that ideas for talks came from conversations we had, all things that I did not remember as being particularly noteworthy, but clearly had an impact that I was not aware of.
So, for this week (optional as always) I would love to hear about two things… First, something you did this week that made someone else happy or helped out someone (big or little, expected or unexpected, part of your job or not, anything really…). Second, the reciprocal, something someone else did to make you happy…
Stay warm everyone, and have a great week!
Goals from last week:
Dame Eleanor Hull
- start work on expanding F into book
- make more progress with grad readings and both VILE sites
- read at least 500 lines of Irrelevant Romance
- scan stuff for grads
- grade 1 undergrad assignment
- write a letter of recommendation
- pay a bill, do some other Life Task (like put up grow lights)
Reports and association meetings
Do 2 paper reviews for fancy journals that are due
Student recommendation letters
Two funding applications
Stuff for student poster
Read and comment on thesis chapters
Organizing and speeches for conference
Get out of bed for 6am exercise at least 4 times
Keep doing ALL my physio exercises all the time…
1.Research: Read/write 10 freaking
2. Routines: language x 5, keep up the rest.
3. Write book review.
4. Read dissertation chapter.
5. Other stuff that needs to be done, getting urgent: Pick a cover image for edited book; send out invitation for journal special issue.
6. Schedule lunch with grad student.
1)self-care: this week is about
getting back into better food habits. I kept up the stretching and mostly the
water drinking, but I have (no surprise) got sloppy around the food and my
sleep is all over the place.
1a) environment: do the small chores, 1 lot of linen laundry, and aim to hoover/sweep every floor surface once
2) R - do something concrete towards the teaching-related R project
3) T - Get second week materials onto all the ViLEs and start third week. remember to look out for work with extensions from last trimester! Sigh...
4) read a bit; post the letters; play D&D.
Do all the boring stuff and submit
Catch up on tedious admin
Prep some teaching to make coming weeks lighter
Declutter ahead of carpenter coming to fit new shelves and cupboard.
Have fun arranging new shelves and cupboard.
Self-care - exercise, batch cook soup for healthy lunches, book rest of Italy trip, catch up with friends on Zoom.
KL draft pushed to approx 5000 words,
coherent enough (or leave notes in) to share with writing group
Intro/Week1 VILE fully polished, Weeks 2, 3 finished off minus external a/v and interactives, Weeks 4, 5 roughed in.
Get some time away from kids each day (ideally, yoga or walk)
Start winter seeds
1. More work on chapter
2. Review 2 more chapters of Big Collaboration
3. Survive Wednesday
4. Do something fun at weekend
5. Keep exercising; include one 5 mile walk.