After the main course come what we might call the follow-on courses. Dessert proper, the fruit and nut course, is the very final element of the service, preceded by the sweet and the savoury (which is often simply the cheese course, though it might be mushrooms on toast). After a large meal, the sweet might well be an ice, since we had various cakes at afternoon tea.
Do you prefer sweet or savoury to round off a meal? Or both? Or just a handful of grapes and some almonds? Continuing our metaphorical discussion, what element of work or life gives you that sense of a sweet or rich something extra, an enjoyable plenitude?
We'll leave the post-prandial port for next week, I think: as there seem to be no gentlemen present, we can remain comfortably at table and discuss whatever topics we please without fear of shocking the poor men. No doubt there will also be liqueurs and coffee. Next week will be the middle of our session, already, so I think we'll need some sort of stimulating refreshment.
Here are the goals from last week; let us know how you did and what's coming up, in the comments.
URGENT NOW Continue writing original text for new local paper
2) URGENT NOW Finish modelling work for new local paper
3) URGENT NOW Do grad course prep and organize readings for students
4) Service days and organizing meetings (6 this week…ouch)
5) Coffee with friend
Dame Eleanor Hull
get ready for bed at 10, yoga x6, weights x3, stay off twisted ankle.
Research: take notes on very significant article, read one book, keep up with dead-language group.
Teaching: grade undergrad papers, write two assignments, respond to 2 grad students' submissions.
Admin: prep for two meetings, put off two online trainings.
Life Stuff: pay bills, send birthday card, excursion with friends.
Elizabeth Anne Mitchell
entries a day on the French drama guide.
Write the handout for the class session.
Pick out the books for show and tell, and print out the handouts.
Read bits of that damn longer book and try to make an effort to get caught up
with my "research plan," such as it is.
2) Self-care etc.
3) Revise WH intro.
4) Plan revisions to contingently accepted essay.
5) Grade Essay 2
Humming42 (carried over)
now late book review
2 write remaining assignments for 7 week class
3 submit abstract to spring conference
4 write and submit other book review
self-care: do 3 songs worth of exercise each day, do some meal prep on my work
from home day(s), clean out the flipping "basket swap", clear off the
reading chair in my work area
2) teaching: get week 2 materials prepared and week 3 mostly prepared, fix all the "list items" for my VLE sites (6 sites)
3) admin: get caught up on stupid CPD videos and things (1 to go if I can find it). Send email to sort out local chatty group.
4) research: read over what we said we'd do for the grant that got funded, and make some initial notes. see if we can get Small But Necessary application done (might be too late...).
- remain positive, even if with gritted teeth.
Research - fulfill supervisory duties
self & Home - op shop drop, home office 2 x pomodoros, if weather permits plant out summer vege, 3 x yoga, enjoy school holidays
2 sessions on famous author
2. Finish sorting through the assessment stuff I have
3. Read manuscript I'm blurbing
4. Do something fun at some point
5. Get second set of plane tickets
6. Follow up with garden guy who hasn't answered calls
7. Watch fun movie
8. Keep up with exercise & healthy eating (which includes chips!)