Sunday, 15 March 2020
Week 10: Life During Pandemic
This week’s title is an homage to the Talking Heads song “Life During Wartime,” which I can’t seem to get out of my head. This is not wartime, however, this is be smart, be safe, take care of yourself time. While I don’t know what anyone’s individual circumstances are, I expect that all of us have had some degree of unexpected change in our lives during the past week. And uncertainty is a big part of that right now as well.
I once complained to a dear friend that I had so many things to do and I couldn’t manage to get things done. She said: the only thing you need to do today is breathe. Fundamentally, she’s right (she’s also one of the wisest people I know). Just the same, establishing some goals can establish structure. And it’s not as though everything already on your list goes up in a poof! because of pandemic.
What do you want to do / what can you do this week to create some structure and keep moving forward with what matters to you? Last week’s goals, along with our carryovers, are posted below. Let us know how you’re doing and what you have planned.
1) Submit thesis evaluation forms for a defense committee
2) Buy new pants for fancy future talk – try again!
3) Set midterms
4) Project reports
5) Abstract volume and program for student conference (also survive stupid conference)
6) Work on future talk – Finish it and start practicing!
Dame Eleanor Hull
Daily stretching, exercise, 8 hours sleep.
Daily writing (or writing-adjacent activities) toward conference paper.
Class plans for the rest of the term.
Do more house-market-prep & gardening.
3 social things!
A whole batch of other life-stuff tasks.
Elizabeth Anne Mitchell
Start passport renewal process.
Contact the Office of Research.
Walk the building 4 times a day.
Meditate 2 times per day.
Gather winter coats and boots, tempting the weather gods.
Good Enough Woman (held over)
1. Get next week's Brit Lit reading done by Sunday.
2. Do most of the prep for next week to clear the way for heavier grading.
3. Find short stories for independent study student. Create first few assignments for her.
4. Research/write for 1 hour.
1. Send at least three cards/letters to people.
2. Have lunch with my mom.
3. Float like mist through all four of my son's 4-H activities this week. Support him.
1. Walk 4x
2. Meditate 4x
3. Skip late-night treat 3x. Fast at least 13 hours 2x.
4. Reschedule appointment that got cancelled.
heu mihi (because we’re thinking about you being away from home)
2. On March 22/23, report back in for TLQ
1 grade everything to post midterm grades
2 write remaining content for online course I’m teaching
3 keep up with online course I’m taking
4 spend time on organizing structure for collected essays project
5 submit next book review
1) I have a five-days-in-a-row=not-in-the-office spell over the coming weekend. So first goal is to do one CHORE THING and one FUN THING on each of those five days.
2) do meal prep, and aim for 5 fruit and veg a day, plenty of water, no bread, and sugar only in high cocoa dark chocolate type stuff.
2a) resist temptation to stay up really really late at the weekend because my brain wakes up...
3) spend an hour with my NaNo writing, because I enjoy it
4) referee one very overdue journal article and keep building that list of research obligations…
Karen (held over)
-clear 2 boxes (the ones next to the bookshelf)
-start all course F draft documents
-run x 2, yoga x 3. Wondering if I can fit in a weights session somewhere in my schedule because I realise I need to work on upper body strength, but can't see where.
-order wind sock, book in 4 field recording days.
-write up notes from this mornings library trip
KJHaxton (held over)
- prepare assessment guidelines for article assessment
- mark group projects, send materials off for moderation
- aim for 30 minutes per day on professional development application
- collate sustainability paperwork
- aim for 2 x 2 hours of data analysis for engagement project
- work on draft of sustainability paper ( 2 hours minimum)
Oceangirl101 (held over)
1) write/work on book, but mostly Ch 7 3x a week, for 2 hrs each- will involve some number crunching, creation of figures, writing and some revision of Ch 3
2) exercise x 3
3) meet with undergrad students/grad that I am advising on lab projects/independent studies etc.
4) finish syllabi, start BB sites for two courses
Susan (held over)
1. Do required reading, and revise Race/Patriarchy
2. Follow up on last bits for Big Book (we've got 28 of 30 contributors!!!)
3. If time, figure out next steps on Famous Author
4. Take a day off
5. Keep sleep going, and start reading at bed time instead of playing games.
7. Keep up with healthy eating
1. Tobacco paper
2. Try to get full draft of YRBS paper this week
3. Revise Latinx survey
4. Check in with S team
5. Email MST team
6. Maturing out hypotheses
7. Do stuff for T32 app
Posted by humming42 at 16:50