the grid

the grid

Saturday 9 April 2016

Week 14 - Out of the comfort zone...

Hello everyone!
(I couldn't remember if this was my week, apologies Elizabeth if I jumped in on plans!)
I really enjoyed all the conference comments last week, there is definitely a general feeling that small conferences with lots of opportunities for interaction and fun are more rewarding and generally easier to manage, and we learn more stuff. Big ones can be awesome but generally inspire more ambivalence. I enjoy the small ones the most, but I really love all kinds and sizes because I get to travel and talk to people and learn new stuff. And a bonus if the big ones are in places where one can buy nice shoes J

This week I had lots of fun with my attempt at making an inspiration type poster after my conference. I’ve actually enjoyed it so much that I’m going to expand the exercise and actually make four posters, one for each of the projects I’m currently working on. I’m finding that it is really fun and creative, and that it is actually focusing my thinking quite nicely. The conference-related one has now morphed into the “dream sabbatical project” which won’t be for a number of years, but it doesn’t hurt to have something in mind! As scientists we often do posters only at the end of a project, and mostly under protest, but this is very different. It is low tech, fun, creative, (bonus that it involves my new colourful Sharpies I got for finishing the zombie papers!), and can be anything I want. So, project planning method that focuses on the fun and inspiration, and adds the planning almost as a side-effect... I may be onto something here! Actually, in reality people have probably been doing this sort of thing forever and I’m late to the party, but it is new to me, so I’m doing it now!

This made me think of things that we sometimes want to do, but never get to for many reasons. One big reason often is that I don’t want to think too big, or take on something that has a high probability of failure etc. etc...

For discussion, can you think of something research/TLQ-related you have never tried, something completely off the wall, something that you’ve always avoided, but secretly wanted to attempt? What would it take to get you to do it? What would you get out of it?
Possibilities? Anything, like contact and correspond with a “superstar” in your field, start something ambitious, form a research group, announce that you have written a novel? Anything big that normally would be either scary or feel impossible...
The challenge is “Think BIG” and the best past is that you get to define your own version of BIG. We are constantly being told what to do and how to do it, what do you WANT to do?


THIS WEEK:

allan Wilson  (from 12)
1)write my conference talk (currently partially done). Not exactly TLQ as I have to give it the day after tomorrow, but I have been wildly putting it off, and I'd really like to do a good job.
2) Try and chill out at conference, and not feel like I have to be with people all the time.
3) send ms that I need to resubmit to collaborator so he can write the final sentence prior to submission
4) do some reading around next TLQ project so I can see logical progression in data analysis

Contingent Cassandra
1. Increase exercise (walks and weight-lifting and perhaps some gardening, but especially walks)
2. Continue work on a more regular sleep schedule; keep eating reasonably well
3. Take at least one day fully off and read a book (try to spend at least 1/2 day in garden as well)
4. Continue tax work

Daisy
1) Do copy-edits on paper about to be published, yay! (TRQ, but since it has been a TLQ paper forever it can go here)
2) Make a plan and start on the revise/resubmit paper
3) Read up on new analytical methods and make step-by-step lists for procedures
4) Go through critical samples for new project and decide what I need to do with each one to start major work on them
5) Make the inspiration poster and try not to laugh too hard at myself :)

Elizabeth Anne Mitchell
1) Return to work ½ hour a day on footnote revisions. If met, reward myself with ½ hour on researching the sabbatical topic.
2) Keep up with this community. All of you have been so supportive that I want to fight my impulse to crawl in the cave and hide when I’m wounded.
3) Plan for 15 minutes--coffee shop or in the car, if necessary.

Earnest English
1. ResearchSFP: 3x ResearchGR: send out 3
2. Health: get x-ray on Monday; get plenty of sleep; work without going nuts; epsom salt baths 3 times this week; consider joyful attention when possible
3. Family: keep on Family Projects and homeschooling as best I can
4. Gardening: get basement ready for starting seeds
5. Work: moderate emotions while 1) working on syllabi; 2) starting big report this week; 3) getting right on reading responses.

Good Enough Woman
1) Write 5,000 words for the intro!
2) Read 1 or 2 primary texts.
3) Read 4 articles/chapters.
4) Get started on taxes before the retreat.
5) Carve out time to grade 50 essays by Monday, April 7. They're TLQ now but will turn into TRQ really quickly if left untouched over break. I'll aim for 10 on Monday, then 5 per day after that. I'll still have 35 essays from another class, but it will help a lot to get these 50 done. These all came in this past week, and more will be coming in after break, so I need to make a dent!

heu mihi
1) Proofs for encyclopedia article
2) Finish BMK
3) Finish R&R
4) Read all 6 M-S papers
5) Sketch out ideas for Kzoo, before reading: What am I looking for?
6) Start in on LT for Kzoo
7) Kzoo bibliography

Humming42 (from 13)
1 Solid draft of paper #1
2 Complete draft of paper #2
3 Organize notes and prepare outline for roundtable discussion

JaneB
1) keep the two appointments I made for me (no excuses!)
2) stop work early and go to bed early if you want, or otherwise relax, even if there is still lots to do. There is ALWAYS lots to do.
3) do one small decluttering type thing, even if it's just an empty/put dishes away/refill the magic cupboard kind of thing, every day til Friday.
4) enjoy the weekend.
5) one hour with the website book and some blank paper and some coloured pens, planning for Gallimaaufry

KJ Haxton
1. Mark lab reports, tests and compile presentation marks
2. prep 2 x 2 hour lectures for kermit course, 2 x 2 hour lectures for 1st year course, sort out all the remaining admin bits.
3. prepare course information for 1st and 2nd years making choices for next year
4. tackle acronym - at least 3 half days of effort, possibly aiming to get sent out to helpful person
5. respond to invite to write thing on Borg stuff.
6. respond to invite to do project on Saurkraut
[I know, more project names, I've had to start a list in my diary of what's what because I started naming computer folders with the project names. It sounds so much more exciting. I blame JaneB with her 'crunchier' really... I've got Gemstone, Kermit, Acronym, House, Scary, and now Borg and Saurkraut]
7. start seriously planning outreach activities in May and June, consider request to participate in some in August.

Susan
1. Walk twice
2. Really touch that essay that needs doing
3. Do a little weeding

28 comments:

  1. Last week's goals:
    1) Do copy-edits on paper about to be published, yay! (TRQ, but since it has been a TLQ paper forever it can go here)DONE
    2) Make a plan and start on the revise/resubmit paper DONE and started on rewrite
    3) Read up on new analytical methods and make step-by-step lists for procedures NOT DONE
    4) Go through critical samples for new project and decide what I need to do with each one to start major work on them DONE
    5) Make the inspiration poster and try not to laugh too hard at myself :) IN PROGRESS AND ONGOING :)

    The two zombie papers that wouldn't die and ate my brain and my motivation are now both in press... These were the ones from my thesis, that were the subject of many failed goals in this group, that were held hostage by supervisor forever, had major rewrites, and now are out in time to to mutually cite each other before sinking into complete obscurity for the rest of their natural lives :) But they are out, so not my problem anymore, ever!!!!

    Next week's goals:
    1) Mail out samples and make lab visit schedule
    2) Outline 2 projects with fancy pretty posters! This will involve a fun trip to the office supply store, something I enjoy way more than most people!
    3) Work on revise/resubmit paper (RR for short now)
    4) Work on literature review for new projects
    5) make up good names for projects so they have cool code names like KJ and JaneB :)

    Topic: Things I would like to think BIG about...
    1) Become involved in collaborations with researchers in a specific country - there is a ton of work to do, not enough people, and getting involved now sounds terrifying, but worth pursuing.
    2) Make my own work more widely known, this is terrifying, but necessary! Be more upfront about my own successes and spread the word without feeling like an arrogant jerk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of outlining a project with a poster. If you do it on the cheap (regular paper), you could update it as the project changes!

      Delete
    2. Total congratulations on getting the zombie papers out!! aw

      Delete
    3. Huge congratulations on the zombie papers being released into the wild, Daisy!

      As for marketing oneself without being a jerk--it's so hard. There's a book called Brag by Peggy Klaus, which I found very helpful. I'm such an introvert, and suffer so much from impostor syndrome, I find it hard to be objective about myself.

      Oh, and no worries about stepping on my toes! I was out of town last weekend, so I appreciate your coming up with such a good topic!

      Delete
  2. Big and scary? Frankly, my sabbatical application, which I've recommitted to this week, sounds big and scary: I have to persuade colleagues and bosses that 1) the field is worthwhile; 2) the topic, which is extremely contentious, is worthwhile; 3) that I can do it when I really don't know because I've never finished a project that big before in Secondary Field and who knows whether I can really do the topic justice; 4) that I have something worthwhile to say and can say it well enough to get published; 5) that all this has enough scholarly worth that I should get time off teaching. Other scary things? Doing the work I need to do to get this other project that I completed more well-known. For example, even publicizing it at my institution sounds scary. So I'm staring into the mouth of scariness at the moment and can't think about any other set of jaws right now without wanting to head for the hills!

    Last Week
    1. ResearchSFP: 3x ResearchGR: send out 3: 3x DONE, did not do GR3, but did one thing on my list related to that
    2. Health: get x-ray on Monday; get plenty of sleep; work without going nuts; epsom salt baths 3 times this week; consider joyful attention when possible: GOT X-RAY; eh on the rest
    3. Family: keep on Family Projects and homeschooling as best I can: OK on this, but not great
    4. Gardening: get basement ready for starting seeds: NOPE
    5. Work: moderate emotions while 1) working on syllabi; 2) starting big report this week; 3) getting right on reading responses. ALL GOT DONE, BUT I WAS VERY DOWN ON FRIDAY, SO PRETTY MUCH SUCKING AT MODERATING EMOTIONS

    Analysis

    It was the first week of the new quarter. I think this quarter is always my hardest because there's just so little time between winter and spring. I'm also teaching very intense and overenrolled classes, which makes my life much harder when I have to catch students up and see all students for conferences, starting tomorrow. Just recounting it now, in fact, after taking yesterday mostly off, I can see that I'm going to need to moderate my emotions about this term and just try to keep my head down and get through it.

    Upcoming Week
    1a. Research: 3x
    1b. Research: engage with incredible ILL info: 1/6 at least!
    1c. Research: send out at least one scary thing this week regarding Little Project
    1d. Research: work on sabbatical application
    2. Health: eat well, supplements, etc.; get good sleep as often as possible
    3. Family: my big thing here is staying on top of Spirited's therapy; he's really into his own things right now, teaching himself all sorts of things, so it's less important for me to really drive the homeschooling right now. Thank goodness. (I am so tired.)
    4. Gardening: next weekend: start tomato seeds which hopefully will have come by then
    5. Work: Work on Big Report in small bits in order to get it done this week; moderate emotions so it's possible to get anything done when what I really want to have a small tantrum and then slam my office door with my keys in it, tell off some people who really need it, and never darken that door again! (I'm reading Cynthia Kuhn's The Semester of Our Discontent and this is really really helping my morale!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have enough of a scary thing to work on already! That is definitely a big one, and it involves lots of components, including the very frightening public commitment and getting one's work out there!

      Delete
    2. Lots of scary there, Earnest. I hope your week went better than slamming the door! I must read the Cynthia Kuhn book. It sounds like something I would find comforting.

      Delete
  3. Question: Scary things? I don't know. I think I've been pretty adventurous in research; I guess the scary thing I've never done is to venture into the archives of another country for comparative work. But I haven't felt the need to, either, though it could be interesting. But it's never been central to my research questions.

    Goals last week:
    1. Walk twice Once
    2. Really touch that essay that needs doing NO
    3. Do a little weeding - NO

    Analysis: Doing anything but survive the week was going to be hard, and it was. Between three days of intense meetings and jet lag, and normal teaching, it was very draining. I was lucky to get my classes prepared, and I would fall asleep and sleep as if drugged. So. . . whatever. And we've had rain this weekend, which was discombobulating.

    Goals for next week (where I have potentially three more days of intense meetings).
    1. File expenses from foreign travel
    2. Look at article that needs revision, make plan
    3. Clear out garage for town "clean-up days" and get rid of rusty old bookcase and junk I don't want.
    4. Pull three weeds (well, I'll pull more, but if my goal is three, it feels manageable
    5. Gym three times, walk twice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pull three weeds." I love that. I hope it's okay if that becomes a kind of metaphor for how I approach large tasks.

      Delete
    2. Good luck with the rough week ahead, and enjoy pulling the three weeds!

      Delete
    3. I am totally stealing the "three weeds." Manageable goals are so important for me, if a habit is to be formed. And jet lag, now that I am older, is a bear!

      I hope the week of meetings (yuck!) went well!

      Delete
  4. Scary things? I don't know. Not that I do a lot of scary things in my research--but this year, at the new job, has pushed me quite a bit: I've joined the advisory board for a professional organization, I gave an hour-long talk (which was a first, other than job talks), I'll be a respondent at a conference next week, and at an all-day seminar on Saturday I actually, on my own nerve, SAT DOWN NEXT TO by far the most famous person present! (He was lovely. I got his autograph. He's a writer as well as a scholar, so that was less weird than it might have been.) So at the moment I'm trying not to be overwhelmed by all the hard new scary things that I'm doing or have committed to, and it's hard for me to come up with a new list.

    Again, this isn't to say that I'm some nervy dare-devil--in fact, it's more to say that I'm *not*, but that this job is presenting me with a brand new, much higher threshold of comfort. (On the plus side, the teaching part of this job is almost completely un-scary, given my high teaching load background.)

    Last week:
    1) Proofs for encyclopedia articles DONE
    2) Finish BMK DONE
    3) Finish R&R DONE
    4) Read all 6 M-S papers DONE
    5) Sketch out ideas for Kzoo, before reading: What am I looking for? DONE, IF SKETCHILY
    6) Start in on LT for Kzoo STARTED; ABOUT 3/4 TO GO
    7) Kzoo bibliography DONE

    This week:
    1) Finish skimming LT; should take about 3 hours
    2) Read one J article/chapter
    3) Read and comment on two essays for conference
    4) Class stuff: grade papers (at least half of them), read O, read CdP
    5) Read another J article/chapter (I really need to move on this)
    6) Reread/revise last 1/3 of ch. 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all that you don't need a new list! It is really satisfying to look back and see yourself do things that used to be scary, but now are normal.
      Congratulations on a very productive week too.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Daisy, you don't need a new list! I especially have trouble interacting with the most famous people at a conference, so congratulations on that! And you did a lot this past week, too!

      Delete
  5. Thinking Big:
    I dream of doing “educated laymen” editions of some important medieval works.
    I have outlined some pretty “out there” interpretations of some medieval texts, but haven’t had the confidence to shop them around.

    On the creative side, I have been writing a historical novel for a couple of years now. None of my colleagues know. I have also plotted out contemporary short stories based on medieval legends and short works.

    Last week’s goals:
    1) Return to work ½ hour a day on footnote revisions. If met, reward myself with ½ hour on researching the sabbatical topic. Nope.
    2) Keep up with this community. All of you have been so supportive that I want to fight my impulse to crawl in the cave and hide when I’m wounded. Better--I commented on almost all the replies.
    3) Plan for 15 minutes--coffee shop or in the car, if necessary. Yes.

    Analysis:
    The week turned topsy-turvy for me. I’ve mentioned how my dismay with the rental house has reached fever pitch. The oven stopped working about a month ago, at about the same time that the garage flooded and we had to throw away dozens of scholarly books that I had gathered through the years. Three weeks ago, I decided to look for a house to purchase. We drove by houses at lunchtime and in the evenings before it got dark, and finally spent last week going through some possibilities. Long story short, we put in an offer on Friday which was accepted later that day. Now the work begins--beginning with all the boxes of (possibly) ruined books in the garage.

    Next week’s goals:
    1) Return to work ½ hour a day on footnote revisions. If met, reward myself with ½ hour on researching the sabbatical topic.
    2) Begin the decluttering and packing for the move. One hour per week day and three hours on weekend days.
    3) Plan for 15 minutes--coffee shop or in the car, if necessary.
    4) Move like water, float like mist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, EAM! Congrats on the house! I hope the closing process goes smoothly (and that not too many books are ruined).

      Delete
    2. Special editions sound like a really interesting project!
      Good news on the house too!

      Delete
    3. Hey that is so exciting about the house. I will look forward to hearing how it changes things for you. aw

      Delete
    4. Thank you GEW, Daisy, and Allan. It is exciting, but I am waking up with the thought of having to move--not my favorite pastime. It will be well worth it, especially as I get my office back. YAY!

      Daisy, I think there are so many texts that are too difficult, from language or cultural inaccessibility standpoints, for an undergraduate class, but so important in the history of ideas. So we'll see!

      Delete
  6. Thinking about the big scary things I might attempt was great fun, in part because I recognize times that I took risks without realizing the significance of them. Some of that risk-taking resulted in utter failure, so I may wish to try old things anew. I am thinking that I’d like to take a class in creative nonfiction and see what effect that might have on my academic writing. I also have a dream of doing a writing retreat--one of those that you apply for and get not only a place but also some funding.

    I regret missing the discussion on conferences, since I spent the past few days at the small conference that I deeply enjoy for good company and good, inspired research. I also left town to travel to said conference without any of my papers completed, so I had shame about that, then came back to my list and noted that I had only planned for drafts.

    Last week:
    1 Solid draft of paper #1: yes
    2 Complete draft of paper #2: yes
    3 Organize notes and prepare outline for roundtable discussion: yes

    Week ahead:
    1 Write and submit abstract for book chapter
    2 Type up marginalia and notes from six articles
    3 Write to Important Contact with update on paper #1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be very cool to apply for a writing retreat with funding!
      Glad you enjoyed your conference too, the good ones really are fantastic.

      Delete
    2. Good job getting everything done for the conference, and having a good time there!

      I often think of the interplay between creative non-fiction and academic writing. I think there would be a lot on synergy between them.

      Delete
  7. Well, I hate to dodge this week's topic with the status quo, but really the dissertation is so big and so scary right now, that it's my number one answer. I really don't know if I have the time or the skill to finish it when I need to finish it, but I can't imagine failing, so I keep pushing forward, hoping for the best.

    Also, I haven't published yet. (Well, I published a book chapter many years ago after my MA, but I haven't published lately.). I submitted an article to a major journal a few years ago, and one reviewer recommended publication (with revision), and the other tore me to shreds. Since then, I've been wanting to try again, but mostly I just haven't been able to make the time. Unfortunately, I got scooped on that first article. An argument just like might (with the same text connections I made) appeared in part of a recent book by a famous scholar). At this point, further submission *might* have to wait until the PhD thesis is submitted.

    Anyway, also, this weekend I was cleaning out the home office / guest room, and I found some poems I wrote for a poetry class that my professor really loved. After the PhD, I might try to place a couple of them. That is VERY scary because they are so personal.

    Last week's goals:
    1) Write 5,000 words for the intro!--ABOUT 3500, I think?
    2) Read 1 or 2 primary texts.--DONE. I read three.
    3) Read 4 articles/chapters.--DONE.
    4) Get started on taxes before the retreat.--DONE! Finished them before my retreat.
    5) Carve out time to grade 50 essays by Monday, April 7. They're TLQ now but will turn into TRQ really quickly if left untouched over break. I'll aim for 10 on Monday, then 5 per day after that. I'll still have 35 essays from another class, but it will help a lot to get these 50 done. These all came in this past week, and more will be coming in after break, so I need to make a dent! FAILED. I only graded about 15 essays, and now I'm totally screwed.

    This next week requires SO much grading and a fair amount of prep work. I'm really not sure how it will all happen.

    1) Read two chapters of criticism from the interesting book.
    2) Write 500 words for intro.
    3) Accept a very low standard of teaching this week.
    4) Try to move like water during all of the TLQ grading.
    5) Be a kind and gracious host to my mother-in-law this weekend even if I am stressed about work.
    6) Take care of that financial thing for my daughter.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right - thesis is big and scary enough all on its own! You WILL finish and the publications will happen after that!
      Good progress on the evil intro too!

      Delete
    2. As Daisy said, great progress on the intro! And yes, the dissertation mountain is huge enough to eclipse all other projects at the moment, but there is life after the dissertation!

      Here's to moving like water!

      Delete
  8. allan wilson -

    In recent times, I have started to tackle some of the big things I have always wanted to do, but thought I don't have the skills/ background/ fitness for. If not now, then when? So, I have started on this track because I want to be self fulfilled essentially, in both my job and home life. So, for example, I put in a request for a piece of equipment I have always wanted to do experiments with, but have never used, had to justify why I need it for my research etc - so if successful, which is by no means a given, I will have to train to use it properly. But I am proud of myself for doing this- I thought about it last year, and didn't do it, despite wanting to. Along these lines, I have also started contacting “superstars” - I went up to one of these at the conference last week, who works in the ara I most want to break into (with no experience) and he was very gracious and we have agreed to email. So yay, I am learning how to do this finally.

    last weeks goals:
    1)write my conference talk (currently partially done). YES - and it went really well
    2) Try and chill out at conference, and not feel like I have to be with people all the time. YES, I had a really good time, and enough time away from people, but really enjoyed the conference size as well- not so overwhelming people-wise.
    3) send ms that I need to resubmit to collaborator so he can write the final sentence prior to submission YES so just waiting for the references to be re-done by another co-author, otherwise ready to submit
    4) do some reading around next TLQ project so I can see logical progression in data analysis - ONLY THE TINIEST SMIDGEON. I had a few emergency work things that popped up, but need to prioritise this now

    this week's goals:
    1)do some reading around the next TLQ project, which I have scheduled to work on with my collaborator for two weeks from the end of next week, so I can see logical progression in data analysis
    2) have all the data cleaned up and ready to go by the middle of next week for the above TLQ project
    3) cook for a special event next week to remember some of the people we have lost over the last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, congratulations on a good conference, and on putting yourself out there with the "superstar." You have a valid point about starting to do things that you have interest in. Starting means having no experience, but if you don't start, well, you'll never do it.

      Also, congratulations on the talk. I'm glad it went well.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete