the grid

the grid

Sunday 13 December 2020

Last quarter 2020, week 14 (actually 15): the coat-check and beyond

What I (DEH) said in early September: “What can we do, what must we keep track of, for the next 15 or 16 weeks? Let's go until mid-December—that is, have our last check-in around Friday, 17 December 2020, as we wrap up the semester and face the holidays, whatever they may involve this year.” That makes this our last week of the session! Is that "already" or "at last"?

I hope you’ve enjoyed the museum tour, and that you’ll tell us what you’re planning to do at the end of it: what are you retrieving from the coat check, are you going out to dinner or straight home, are you maybe staying in a hotel and doing something else tomorrow, what memories and souvenirs are you taking with you?

Also let us know how you did last week, and how you've done with session goals.

For the next session, to start in January, Daisy and DEH will be your hosts. We’ll consult about when to start and how long to run, and suggestions from any of you are welcome! Do you prefer longer sessions, shorter sessions, ones that run quarterly or by semester or up to some significant date? Would you prefer a winter intersession and a shorter spring session, or a longer winter/spring session?

Session goals (apologies if I'm missing anyone, and thanks to heu mihi for collecting them; also for being an excellent co-host):

Daisy:

1) Finish and get rid of the Albatross Paper
2) Learn and do some computer-based analysis with fancy tool for new paper and local grant
3) Get DEI program approved and instituted in my professional society
4) Deliver excellent graduate course for new project students.

Priorities:
1) Health for household – mental and physical.
2) Two research projects: local grant and Albatross. The rest will putter along by themselves mostly so these are the ones that need the most focused attention.
3) Be excellent for my good people and help them as much as I can, be those child or co-authors or grad students or the good colleagues
4) Be good enough for/with everything and everyone else.


Dame Eleanor Hull:

Look after my health first.
Do a decent job teaching, and be kind to students.
Revise essay; try to make progress on book, and do at least a bit of language work every week.
Get boxes out of storage unit.


Elizabeth Anne Mitchell:

spend my research leave at a nearby archive to do a final check of my critical edition against the exemplars;
finish the article that grew from a presentation I gave;
pull together a good literature review of the flavor of digital humanities that interests me;
walk more, eat better, meditate when I wake up at 3am, and write every day;
be more positive about life.

Research:
Incorporate research from hoped-for archival trip into the critical edition.
Finish one article, preferably Illuminated, although Flowers is a close second.
Finish the annotated bibliography on critical editions and digital humanities.

Life:
Achieve 10,000 steps a day.
Achieve 60% better meals.
Improve positivity about life.


heu mihi:

1. Research: draft an article by summer 2021; prepare a grant proposal by mid-summer 2021
1a. (Re)read NunG books 3-5
1b. Research relevant theology on death in the 13th c.
1c. Situate readings of nuns within theological context
2. Draft my part of intro to collection
3. Language: Make some progress. Aim for 3x week, any length of time.
4. Life: Exercise, yoga twice a week (any length of time), sit some amount every week
5. Watch Pride and Prejudice by myself in the newly fixed-up basement.
6. Try to do at least one of each week's Big Tasks on Monday or Tuesday, to keep them all from piling up on the weekend.
7. Relax into what happens. Change or abandon goals as needed.


humming42:

1 write a tiny project piece every week
2 spend time with a creative piece every week
3 write weekly blog posts
4 finish writing that online class
5 keep up with teaching things

 

oceangirl101:

1. Complete book and submit to press!!!! This will entail final writing/ edits on Ch 8, a bit of data crunching for Ch 7, a final read througth and polish of the entire thing, plus copy edits and figures and the bib. I think its doable.
2. Maintain a realistic notion of what is doable this semester in terms of teaching. Be gentle with myself.
3. Exercise 5x a week
4. Eat healthy
5. Advise several students on new projects, get bits and pieces of data/writing needed to collaborators for CNH paper, Canoe paper, and Adze paper
6. Paperwork for aunt to go into state system (I am her POA)
7. Buy porch furniture to make outdoor space comfy
8. Do smell retraining therapy each day in the hopes of getting smell and taste back

 
Susan:

1. Survive the teaching, and maybe figure out how to own it? I'm beginning to figure out how to manage class, and am grateful to the students who will turn on cameras so I get some feedback! Last week I figured out how to pre-assign students to breakout rooms and I wanted to break out the champagne. I have tried to make the assignments for students what they can manage, and to be flexible. It's just hard.
2. Finish chapter 2 of Famous Author, by working at least 15 minutes every week day.
3. Keep making progress on getting rid of stuff/ fixing house.
4. Keep walking or getting exercise. I have just ordered a Very Expensive piece of gym equipment, but everyone I know who has it raves. I hope it gets me through the winter when "It's dark when I wake up and want to go out so I don't go walk". We'll see.
5. Read for pleasure -- a litte?
6. Do something enjoyable weekly with friends. (mostly not face to face...)

Last week’s goals—I haven’t done hold-overs, thinking they might just make people feel bad about not checking in; but by all means, come back and tell us how things are now, if you have the bandwidth to do so:

Daisy

1) Grade/nag for assignments to get submitted/grade/nag/grade/nag rinse/repeat ad nauseum…
2) Set exam for big class
3) Help extremely marginal grad student with defense talk and corrections
4) Make a list of teaching successes vs. failures while it is still fresh to use when doing next term’s planning
5) My intentional thing for the week: local shopping for fun food things or pretty gift ideas

Dame Eleanor Hull

*Health: daily cardio and stretching, weights x 3, try to eat carefully and sleep enough.
*Teaching: Grade All The Things.
*Research: work on revisions; some time on both dead and live languages; take notes on the big ILL book.
*Service: set up drafts for some recommendation letters.
*House/life: hang pictures, get hardware for cabinet, that Thing.

Elizabeth Anne Mitchell

Translation study articles 1x6.
Write 300 words x 7.
Deal with all the paperwork--travel, research, grant, etc.
Walk 2x7; meditate 1x7; something positive 1x7.

heu mihi: 

1. Sit x3
2. Reinstate exercise plan, plus some extra walking, since last week was so inert.
3. Catch up on journal stuff!
4. Write 3 hours
5. Grade all the things

(Humming?)

(JaneB?)

(Oceangirl101?)

Susan

1. 2 hours on famous author
2. Catch up on rest of grading
3. Write 2 references for grad school
4. Write memo protesting pay cuts
5. Have a serious email purge
6. Get and trim tree: I need something to cheer me up!
7. Drinks parties
8. Plan some baking (trying to figure this out, but thinking of baking and bringing cookies or other goodies to people.)
9. Start on Xmas Card




15 comments:

  1. Thank YOU, DEH! I'm glad that you found my contributions helpful. I'm not sure that I always did. Your prompts were all so very lovely to fantasize about!

    I would so very much love to go out to a nice dinner right now (well, at dinner time, but you know what I mean). We have gone to a few nice dinners this season, including one for my husband's birthday on 11/19--all outside, so that last one was an adventure! It was about 35 degrees, but there were heatlamps and good cocktails and we bundled up really well. We were also just about the only patrons (there were a total of two other tables of two while we were there), so it was about as safe as possible.

    And a hotel! What exotic luxury!

    I never feel wholly satisfied at the end of a session. (Is such a thing even possible?) I don't really know what would make me feel as though I were making good progress on my research goals. I'm pretty confident that I did *not* make impressive research this semester, but that's okay: my co-editor and I finished off our first issue of the big journal that we now edit and have a jump on our next one; I dealt with teaching online; I'm involved in several major service tasks, one of which was new to me; etc. It was a full semester.

    But I'd like to feel as though I have things *underway*, like if I were asked to give a talk (which doesn't really happen and which possibility I actually dread) I would have something to pull together, instead of feeling like I'm floundering so much of the time. You know?

    Anyway. Time for the round-up.

    Last week: Did pretty well.
    1. Sit x3 -x2
    2. Reinstate exercise plan, plus some extra walking, since last week was so inert.
    -x4 of regular exercise, some extra walking. Not as much as I'd hoped. It turns out that mouth pain makes me grumpy!
    3. Catch up on journal stuff!
    -Mostly; good enough.
    4. Write 3 hours
    -2.5 hours
    5. Grade all the things
    -YES, except for the ones that weren't turned in. I think I have 5 Incompletes this semester. That's a bit of a drag, but oh well.

    Session goals, with commentary:
    1. Research: draft an article by summer 2021; prepare a grant proposal by mid-summer 2021
    1a. (Re)read NunG books 3-5
    -3 & 4, yes. Haven't cracked 5.
    1b. Research relevant theology on death in the 13th c.
    -Actually started this in the last couple of weeks!
    1c. Situate readings of nuns within theological context
    -Why no, I'm not ready for this.
    2. Draft my part of intro to collection
    -HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    We don't even have half the articles submitted yet. And I haven't read any of those that *have* been submitted. I printed 5 of them. That's sort of like drafting an introduction, isn't it?
    3. Language: Make some progress. Aim for 3x week, any length of time.
    -Um...some of the time? I lost track of this completely about a month ago.
    4. Life: Exercise, yoga twice a week (any length of time), sit some amount every week
    -Wow, it would have been helpful to look at my session goals every so often.
    5. Watch Pride and Prejudice by myself in the newly fixed-up basement.
    -NO, because I am never alone. And now the basement is freezing.
    6. Try to do at least one of each week's Big Tasks on Monday or Tuesday, to keep them all from piling up on the weekend.
    -Some of the time?
    7. Relax into what happens. Change or abandon goals as needed.
    -Changed and abandoned, sure. Still working on the relaxing part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You've read two books and started theological research, and as for the past week, you are totally allowed to be grumpy and skimp on things due to mouth pain! Just getting my teeth cleaned usually leads to me taking the rest of the day off to recover. And congrats on finishing Issue 1 of the journal!

      Delete
  2. How I did last week:
    *Health: daily cardio and stretching, weights x 3, try to eat carefully and sleep enough. YES, TWICE, MOSTLY.
    *Teaching: Grade All The Things. YEESSSS! AM DONE!!!
    *Research: work on revisions; some time on both dead and live languages; take notes on the big ILL book. NO, YES, NO.
    *Service: set up drafts for some recommendation letters. NO.
    *House/life: hang pictures, get hardware for cabinet, that Thing. NOPE!

    It was a grade-all-the-things week, with a fair amount of procrastinating on the grading (though some of that time can count toward spring teaching, as I read a fun book that will be on one syllabus). But Things are now graded, and the only grade query I had was due to the student's mistake! Yippee!

    Coat check: did I even have a coat? Didn't we come in back when it was hot? Maybe I should hit the gift shop and get something warmer for the trip home. Did I drive here? Was Sir John going to pick me up? I'm discombobulated.

    The main thing I'm taking with me from this semester is that I have, it seems, worked out assignments that kept most of my class engaged throughout the semester. This is huge. Many people got higher grades than their performance on formal written assignments would seem to predict, because discussion board posts counted heavily and I allowed extra credit--but there's more than one way to contribute to a class, and nearly everybody kept plowing through, so I'm taking this as a win. I'll try to go back to being a hardass when we're meeting in person again.

    How I did with session goals:
    Look after my health first. YES.
    Do a decent job teaching, and be kind to students. YES.
    Revise essay; try to make progress on book, and do at least a bit of language work every week. NO, NO, YES.
    Get boxes out of storage unit. NO. I said at the mid-term check-in that it would have to wait for a break, and I was right.

    Oh, I should have posted the mid-term goal revisions, I'm sorry, everybody! They're in week 7, at the end of October.

    In short, this term I concentrated on teaching and staying healthy, and succeeded at both, though research was definitely on the back burner. I did some language work and read one large ILL book (now overdue, so I need to take notes where all the stickies are, and return it), and intermittently tried to work on the essay revisions, but had trouble keeping any momentum going.

    I have four weeks till classes begin again. In that time, I need to plan spring classes, finish the essay revisions, and do some more settling into the new house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for getting all the grading of things done! Nice to hear your class stayed engaged too! That's a huge win in a term like this one...
      Good luck with the essay revisions!

      Delete
  3. Daisy, when you have a chance, would you e-mail me at dame dot eleanor at mail dot com, so we can make plans for the winter/spring session? Maybe wait till we see if there are any suggestions made here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll have to retrieve my bookbag from the coat check, with all the external baggage I tend to carry about. Dame Eleanor is right--I’ll need to get a wrap of some sort from the gift shop for the walk back to the hotel. I plan to be self-indulgent and hit a bookstore or two before I drive home. As for memories, I have found new favorites to visit on the next trip, and will cherish the visit with the old friends I found on earlier trips. I also want to hold onto the feeling of diving into something without having to worry about time beyond the hours of the museum, letting go of the other demands on myself, including, or perhaps, especially, the self-imposed demands.

    Session goals:
    Spend my research leave at a nearby archive to do a final check of my critical edition against the exemplars;Yes, and what a lovely brace of times it was. I had “Eureka!” moments, which were so affirming; a wander through the catalog sowed a few seeds of further research as well, which was inspiring.

    Finish the article that grew from a presentation I gave;Ha, ha, ha, sadly no. I did verify some pieces of this article during the research trip, but have not yet incorporated those into the draft.

    Pull together a good literature review of the flavor of digital humanities that interests me;Yes, although it took many more hours and brain power than I thought it would. At least I got an A in the course!

    Walk more, eat better, meditate when I wake up at 3am, and write every day; be more positive about life.Mostly yes. I’m walking less since it has turned so cold, but hope to get back into practice over the semester break.

    Last week's goals:
    Translation study articles 1x6. Only 4, but the tenure meeting report was the beast that would not die--a few colleagues were still wanting to craft the thing over a week after the meeting, until I finally said no!

    Write 300 words x 7. Only 5, but I am settling back into daily writing. I know it is not for everyone, but it helps me with my ADD.

    Walk 2x4; meditate 1x4; something positive 1x4. Only 2; yes; and yes.

    Thank you, heu mihi and Dame Eleanor for sponsoring the museum tour this semester. I hope to continue some of the contemplation and slower pace through the break. Our classes ended on the 7th, and do not start back until February 1, so things will slow down for me until then. I heard back last Friday about the biopsies, which were thankfully all negative; the doctor has posited that my symptoms were stress-related, so I will be working on that. As for scholarship, I have put in several interlibrary loan requests, which should keep me occupied on my various projects for the interim.

    As for the schedule, I am fine with a semester long spring session, but am happy with any configuration that works for the majority of the group. I may post now and again to keep myself accountable in the meantime.

    Enjoy your break and holidays, everyone. Float like mist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO HAPPY to hear about good/negative biopsy results! Stress management is better than...so many things. Congratulations on the A, and I hope that you enjoy the period of slowness.

      Delete
    2. (I am also fine with--indeed prefer--a longer spring session to two "trimesters," but will go along with whatever, of course.)

      Delete
    3. (Quarters, not trimesters.)

      Delete
    4. Very happy to hear the biopsies were all negative! Good luck getting the stress down to help with recovery!

      Delete
    5. So glad to hear the good results on the biopsies! Now you can really say to yourself, every time you're thinking about stress-lowering activities INCLUDING "dropping the ball," that you NEED to do them, doctor's orders! Selfishness is now a requirement!

      Delete
    6. Thank you all for your responses to the biopsy news. And, Dame Eleanor, I plan to take your advice to heart, beginning by taking these next two weeks off!

      Delete
  5. Wow… The end of a very very long term… For everyone! I’ve loved our tour through the museum! Thank you DEH and heu mihi for a wonderfully creative hosting thread through the weeks and months…
    For the end of the tour I’m going to buy a few beautiful notebooks in the museum shop, maybe a few prints, and definitely something that recalls the major collections I looked at… Then I’m going straight to a great restaurant, since this is a fantasy museum trip it will be the one in my area that always sells out in reservations 5 minutes after they open the website on New Year’s Day every year! Staying overnight in a fancy hotel, and tomorrow I will go to the major botanical garden in town…

    Last week’s goals first:
    1) Grade/nag for assignments to get submitted/grade/nag/grade/nag rinse/repeat ad nauseum… CONTINUING
    2) Set exam for big class DONE AND MARKED!
    3) Help extremely marginal grad student with defense talk and corrections DONE
    4) Make a list of teaching successes vs. failures while it is still fresh to use when doing next term’s planning DONE AND BOY WAS THAT INTERESTING!
    5) My intentional thing for the week: local shopping for fun food things or pretty gift ideas DONE

    Session goals (with mid-session comments on those):
    1) Finish and get rid of the Albatross Paper still a maybe NOPE, NOTHING
    2) Learn and do some computer-based analysis with fancy tool for new paper and local grant not gonna happen and NO SURPRISE, IT DIDN’T
    3) Get DEI program approved and instituted in my professional society happened, yay!! AND CONTINUING, HAS SPREAD TO NEIGHBOURING SOCIETY TOO
    4) Deliver excellent graduate course for new project students. spreading it over 2 terms to reduce stress, good plan…STILL GOING WELL
    5) ADDING Invited Paper…. (bad idea but going to do it anyway!) has to happen AND IT DID! THIS WAS A HUGE WIN, I’m REALLY HAPPY WITH THAT

    Priorities:
    1) Health for household – mental and physical. GOING OK…
    2) Two research projects: local grant and Albatross. The rest will putter along by themselves mostly so these are the ones that need the most focused attention. BAD ALBATROSS, GOOD FOR LOCAL PROJECT
    3) Be excellent for my good people, be those child or co-authors or grad students MOSTLY GOOD, I’M DOING WELL FOR MY PEOPLE… GRAD STUDENTS NEED MORE ATTENTION NEXT TERM
    4) Be good enough for/with everything and everyone else. PRETTY GOOD EVEN THOUGH IT FELT AWFUL MOST OF THE TIME… MANAGED TO REALLY HELP A FEW STUDENTS WHO REALLY NEEDED IT…

    Thank you everyone for being in this lovely space! Best wishes for the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the best fantasies! I'm looking forward to working with you on the spring session! Congratulations on the Invited Paper, and on Being Excellent for Your People—these are both big things!

      Delete
  6. Thank you Dame Eleanor and heu mihi for the museum adventures that truly took me out of my doldrums and let me dream about being in a fabulous place. Here’s hoping for actual museum-going in the coming year.

    Most recent weekly goals:
    1 edit a creative piece to prepare for submission: somewhere in there, yes
    2 write weekly blog post: not since September
    3 grade every day: well that’s in the past now...
    4 write and submit current book review: yes
    5 finish reading next review book: yes

    Session goals:
    1 write a tiny project piece every week: gave up early on
    2 spend time with a creative piece every week: did a lot of creative work
    3 write weekly blog posts: not many
    4 finish writing that online class: not yet
    5 keep up with teaching things: badly

    As my dear Southern friend Laura says, this semester I was a hot mess. I sometimes find the restart every semester frustrating but now I’m grateful that I’ll get a fresh start in January. I have only three weeks for break since we are starting back early this year for weird administrative things. I hope to be better prepared for Spring than I was for Fall. Thinking that I would finish those modules and create those assignments once the semester began was a recipe for disaster.

    I look forward to meeting up with you here again soon.

    ReplyDelete